The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:35 am 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Knight

Post subject: Beginner to chess databases
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:53 am 
Hi, could someone give me some advice on how to start with chess databases? I'm guessing there are two things they are used for, firstly to research other games, and secondly to record and analyse your own games. I save most of my games in pgn format. What do I need to do to get these into a database? I've heard of chessbase but don't know anything about it. Are there any good free databases? Any pointers to tutorials etc would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dean

Pawn

Post subject: There are free alternatives
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:10 pm 
Best known to me chess database tools are: Chessbase and Chess Assistant. Of course you can start with something less expensive: SCID and its derivatives SCID-pg and ChessDB.

User avatar  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:48 pm 
Hi Dean,

You're spot on about what databases are mostly used for. If you'd like to know more about Chessbase, try looking at the database articles here. The series of articles starting with Database Basics part 1 (under the Chessbase 8 heading) is a great introduction to what Chessbase can do.

In reality, most players find the simple database functions of Fritz more than enough. 8)

Knight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:34 am 
thanks son of pearl, the articles look like just what I'm looking for. I didn't realise fritz has a database built in.

Knight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:00 am 
I've just had a read through them, and they're useful for searching through games. How would I make a database of my own games that I've saved in pgn format?

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:30 pm 
deanmadden wrote:
I've just had a read through them, and they're useful for searching through games. How would I make a database of my own games that I've saved in pgn format?

Just create an empty database, then drag and drop your PGN databases into it.

Knight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:56 pm 
Thanks Steve, I'll give it a go when I get home this evening. Thanks for the articles, very useful!

Knight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:50 am 
This doesn't seem to work with Fritz or SCID, is this just a feature of chessbase?

User avatar  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:55 pm 
Dean,

What software are you using to save your games into a pgn file? Fritz? And are you saving your games into separate pgn files i.e. do you have one pgn file for each game? e.g. game1.pgn then game2.pgn etc.? Or are you saving all your games into one pgn file? If you save another game to the same pgn file, it doesn't overwrite the previous game, it just adds another game to the file.

A pgn file is actually just a text file (you can open it with a basic word processing program like wordpad if you want to have a look) so if you are saving all your games into one pgn file you already have a database of your games in that file (and Fritz can read them). :)

I'm not sure about Steve's drag n drop method (I don't know 1% of what he knows about Chessbase products :wink: ) but if I want to move a game from one database to another I just copy and paste it.

So in the main Fritz window choose File>Open>Database to open the database window. In the database window choose File>Open>Database and navigate to your pgn file (you may need to specify that you are looking for pgn files by selecting that option from the drop down box named 'Files of type').

When you open the file you should see a list of all the games displayed. If you highlight all the games you want to copy (either hold down the control key and left click to select several individual games or hold down shift and click to select all the games in a range) and then right click and choose Edit>Copy then navigate to where you want to paste the files (say a new empty database you have already created in Fritz's usual format .cbh) and now in the window right click again and select Edit>Paste.

This should copy the games you selected from the pgn database into the new database you have chosen. It's useful to save the games in Chessbase's .cbh format since pgn is not as flexible as the .cbh format and some database functions will not be possible otherwise.

I hope this helps a bit. It's a bit long-winded to explain, but easier to do! :)

Knight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:55 pm 
Hi, for my internet games, babaschess saves them into seperate pgn files, and otb i save them using fritz. I could save them in the same file though. I just kept them seperate so would be easier to re-look at. Thanks for the tips.

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:21 am 
Hi there...if you didn't find the solution yet here it is:

-open console (cmd.exe from 'run' menu of windows start menu)
-navigate to directory where babaschess stores your games (usualy /my documents/babaschess/games)
-once in type 'copy *.pgn MyGames.pgn

Once finished you'll have all your games in one file (MyGames.pgn) you can open in fritz or any other chess DB software. It is much faster metod then adding games one by one.

I hope i helped someone with this :D

regards, Bojan

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]