The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:12 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:57 am 
Hey, I've always been interested in Chess, and I've played the few Chess games that come with Microsoft OS, but I'm now really getting into it, mainly because I can't beat Chess Titans. Which is the Chess game that came with my Windows Vista OS. Sometimes I don't know whether I just suck at Chess (right now), or if Chess Titans a poorly designed program.

Anyways, I'm here to basically work on becoming a better Chess player, and even though I won't be playing for tournaments and money, I'd still like to play for fun. :)

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:52 pm 
ChessPilot wrote:
Hey, I've always been interested in Chess, and I've played the few Chess games that come with Microsoft OS, but I'm now really getting into it, mainly because I can't beat Chess Titans. Which is the Chess game that came with my Windows Vista OS. Sometimes I don't know whether I just suck at Chess (right now), or if Chess Titans a poorly designed program.

Anyways, I'm here to basically work on becoming a better Chess player, and even though I won't be playing for tournaments and money, I'd still like to play for fun. :)

Hi, and welcome to the ChessExchange. A good way to get better in chess is starting out with tactical training exercises. These are often middle and endgame situations that help you increas your tactical insight - which is about 90% of chess. There are a few good trainers on software, you can browse ChessCentral for some examples, just lok at http://www.chesscentral.com/chess_train ... e_s/22.htm and browse the "general" and "middlegame" section. Depending on your level you can choose your training software.

There are also a lot of books that can help you. I always like "Sharpen your Tactics' by Archangelski and that monster volume from Polgar "5333+1 chess positions" both for middle game and endgame.

Don't forget to browse the forum because there's a lot of information available here. Good luck!

J.

User avatar  Offline
Rook

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:23 pm 
Welcome :D

If Chess Titans is constantly beating you it can’t be that badly designed :lol:

No but seriously, playing computers is just about the worst thing a beginner can do because it’s just disheartening to get crushed every time (powerful computer programmes are capable of beating GM’s now a days)

Get online and play human opponents (there’s plenty of free sites out there http://www.chesscube.com is the best in my opinion).

The only way to get better is practice!

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:40 pm 
Norman_T_Whitaker wrote:

No but seriously, playing computers is just about the worst thing a beginner can do because it’s just disheartening to get crushed every time (powerful computer programmes are capable of beating GM’s now a days)

Get online and play human opponents (there’s plenty of free sites out there http://www.chesscube.com is the best in my opinion).

We need to qualify that a bit, because chess software is much more scalable these days than in the distant past. Chessmaster offers a plethora of pre-generated computer opponents (with estimated Elo ratings that are surprisingly accurate), and the Fritz family of programs offers "Friend mode" which is set up to modify its strength based on a users' past performance, with the goal being to allow the user to win 20% to 25% of the games against it. So it's not remotely "the worst thing a beginner can do". I would even argue that it's more beneficial for a beginner than online play because the new player is free to make mistakes without the risk of judgment or insult that occasionally crops up in online games against a human opponent.

My advice is to mix it up. Practice against computer software, then play some online games to test how you're progressing.

User avatar  Offline
Rook

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:51 pm 
Steve Lopez wrote:
Norman_T_Whitaker wrote:

We need to qualify that a bit, because chess software is much more scalable these days than in the distant past. Chessmaster offers a plethora of pre-generated computer opponents (with estimated Elo ratings that are surprisingly accurate), and the Fritz family of programs offers "Friend mode" which is set up to modify its strength based on a users' past performance, with the goal being to allow the user to win 20% to 25% of the games against it. So it's not remotely "the worst thing a beginner can do". I would even argue that it's more beneficial for a beginner than online play because the new player is free to make mistakes without the risk of judgment or insult that occasionally crops up in online games against a human opponent.

My advice is to mix it up. Practice against computer software, then play some online games to test how you're progressing.

Well some might say you’re a little bias Steve - Been associated with Chess Base you have to try and hawk all their stuff don’t you :wink:

It is true that you can alter the settings on Fritz and Chess Master (which in my opinion is actually superior to Fritz in that respect) to match your skill and make it more “human”. But to me it still feels like playing a computer, and no matter how “human” you can make them, computers play differently to humans - get too used to playing them, especially when just starting out, and you will come unstuck.

I was however more referring to Chess Titans when I made my original point, I appreciate Fritz is far more sophisticated and well worth buying - I never play against it anymore, but it’s invaluable for analysing your own games and keeping a database. I’ve only been using it for a year or so and I don’t know how I ever managed without it now.

As for the risk of judgment and insult after loosing an online game - I think you can rest assured that any opponent who feels the need to do that has very small genitals :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Pawn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:18 am 
Welcome to Chess. Enjoy your stay. Chess.

Profile E-mail  

Rook

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:49 am 
If you want I'll play you a game and give you tips/hints as we go along. If you join schemingmind.com as a trial guest (free for the first 20 games) you can challenge me, my handle is Student.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]