The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:51 am 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Veresov for a beginner?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:14 pm 
I am pretty much a beginner, in that I have always played chess, but only recently started to take the game seriously. I would like to concentrate on a d4 opening and was wondering if the Veresov is a good place to start or if it leads to complications I should wait before I start to face at this early stage.

User avatar  Offline
Knight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:54 pm 
I'm not familiar with that opening. I typically play 1. e4. The Colle opening is good for beginners though. It is recommended because the move order isn't usually the same despite what black plays. I got the cd from chessbase, but it didn't match my playing style. I like 1.e4 openings.

Knight

Post subject: Veresov
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:30 am 
Hi Cuban Patzer,
If you're set on 1.d4 then I'd say the Veresov is a reasonable try, cutting down on theory, getting to slightly offbeat lines where you can hope to know more than your opponent. However, for the sake of the future, if you really get the chess bug, I'd try and start with 1.e4. In general this will lead to more open games, higlighting the essential learning of tactics that will benefit you in the long run.
Whichever you try, good luck ! Don't forget though, below master level almost all openings are playable. The key is sticking to the same one for a good period to get to understand it tactically and strategically.

Knight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:31 pm 
Hi Cuban,

I believe the Veresov is a reasonable start. As in a previous post I would recommend also the Colle Zukertort and/or the Colle Koltanowski. (Limited study time and lifetime openings... until you reach 2300+, then you understand chess as well as the guy who plays 1e4 and still is an A player or Expert, trying to climb the ranks just as you are) I like the London more than the Veresov. I don't believe you have to play 1e4 to learn or have tactics arise in your games. What a major misconception that has been propogated! Benko, Benoni, Dutch, Kings Indian, Nimzo Indian, even the Slav are highly complex and involves capitalizing (tactics) on your opponents mistakes. ( I believe the tactics that everyone refers to is just you playing better moves than your opponent!) If you don't play a good moves (positional)... any opening you play your opponent will end up with the so called brillant tactical shot!! I believe your chess ability will show no matter how simple your opening you play. So keep the opening simple and study the types of endgames that arise from your choices. ( Colle, Capablanca, Larsen, to name a few ... really kept it simple and the talent showed through!!!) Anyway best of luck!! Cheers, AJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:43 pm 
Thanks for the replies guys!!

Post subject: Re: Veresov for a beginner?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:16 am 
i think u should lay the ruy lopez because it is the same thing than Veresov but with e4 and it is more agressive than veresov because the central pawn isnt defend by the queen

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Rook

Post subject: Re: Veresov for a beginner?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:23 pm 
Search for 'Matt Pullen' on Youtube, he has done a video series on the Veresov that may help you out :)

Profile E-mail  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]