The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:47 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar  Offline
Rook

Post subject: 90 degree rotation to make ChessBase Table easier to track
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:39 am 
(TITLE: 90 degree rotation to make ChessBase Table easier to track)

I feel ChessBase would be easier to use if its 'Table' tab displayed:
* Move-pair numbers running vertically from top-to-bottom along the left edge; and
* Variation ID letters running horizontally side-to-side across the top.

Instead, ChessBase runs the the move-pair numbers horizontally across the top; and runs the variation IDs, as more numbers, vertically down the left edge.

ChessBase has the Black move underneath each White move, yet has the White moves (within any one variation) aligned side-by-side-by-side; and Black moves also side-by-side-by-side.

PROBLEM: The ChessBase orientation creates a duality that is a chore for the human eye: because within any one variation, the moves zig-zag: right, down, diagonally up-right, down, diagonally up-right, down....

A bad effect of the ChessBase table display orientation is that --- When focus stands on a White move, the human eye must pick through the moves displayed in the next column to see which 50% are possible continuations!
If ChessBase rotated their display format 90 degrees, as I described at the very start of this entry, then 100% of the moves in the next row would be possible continuations; no eye chore.

My old MCO (Modern Chess Openings) book used the orientation that I think is better; and it is easier to track possible branch changes from a variation than in the ChessBase display.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]