The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:55 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Beginner looking for a good chess trainer program.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:25 am 
Hi I am just starting out with chess, I know how the chess pieces move and that is about it. I am looking for software to help me start to get better. I found TASC chess tutorial, but I am running windows 7 and it looks like it should run on this OS as it seems to run on vista, but I do not want to fork over the $$ if it does not. I am wondering if anyone has anyone knows if this program is a good choice for a rank beginner, and if it will run on win 7. Also if there are any suggestions for other training software that can take me from where I am at, to somewhere in the intermediate range, if that software is out there, I would love to get it. Tired of getting spanked by any and all friends who actually know how to play this game. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Rook

Post subject: Re: Beginner looking for a good chess trainer program.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:53 am 
You could download the demo of chess tutor, made by the people who made tasc, and see if it suits you.
Find out more here: http://www.shredderchess.com/chess-soft ... tutor.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:59 am 
I will check it out, thanks for the info, and link.

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Pawn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:37 pm 
If you are a beginner, you might consider Chessmaster 10 or 11, since both will run on Windows 7. I teach chess and use Fritz 12 and Chessbase 11 for my intermediate and advanced students (as well as myself), however, Chessmaster has a complete, "from the beginning," set of tutorials. Since it is inexpensive, its a good choice. There are a number of other programs such as Fritz and the "trainer" series but they can sometimes be a bit complex for a true beginning.

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:04 am 
ChessCentral has a great guide to buying software. It is broken down in sections for beginners, intermediate and advanced. You can find the article here:

http://www.chesscentral.com/Chess_Softw ... _a/141.htm

User avatar  Offline
Pawn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:08 am 
8) While I suggested Chessmaster 10 or 11 (Grandmaster Edition), you might consider Fritz 12, especially if you plan on playing chess for the long run. I teach chess professionally and use Chessmaster 10 & 11, Chessbase 11 and Fritz 12. Each software porgram has a lot to offer. If you're a relatively new player, the Chessmaster series will give you plenty to do and a good set of tutorials. However, if you play long enough, you'll outgrow Chessmaster. Fritz 12 is the superior program from intermediate level training. However, it has so many great features that many beginners get lost and miss many of its important features. Fritz 12 has a great feature aptly named "Friendly Play Mode." In this mode, Fritz matches your playing strength so you're playing an opponent with your same skill set. Fritz 12 also allows you to fine tune your opponent's ability in incedible detail. When you get to a point where you're studying games, Chessbase 11 cannot be beat. Chessbase 11 allows you to fully analyze millions of games as well as your own. However, Chessbase 11 can be expensive and is really better suited for more advanced players. Let me know if you need more detailed information. The great thing about Chessbase products IFritz 12 ans Chessbase 11) is that you can purchase a large number of training modules that will help you develop you skills on the chessboard.

Profile E-mail  

Pawn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:30 pm 
The ideas of Patterson and others are useful. I add several more: 1. Wikipedia ['chess', 'chess openings', etc. has tons of stuff]; 2. surf for free stuff ['Chessopolis', 'Chessville' 'Chess Cafe', -- and use their 'links' pages to get to additional stuff]; 3. Google 'chess blog', 'chess instruction', etc., until you find something comfortable. There is an abundance of riches. [e.g., http://www.justchess.biz/others.php] When you commit, don't stop searching.
Two commercial sources that you ought to explore are: ChessOK [Chess Assistant and Rybka/Aquarium-they are less costly than Chessbase in general] and Bookup [some of it is free, it is excellent for learning openings and in spite of what players may tell you memorization is necessary in chess! ! !]

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Pawn

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:51 pm 
I just had another thought: Try Chess Mentor. You try a demo first and it is easier to use than the CT-ART or Total Chess Training programs. Google chess mentor and try the demo. It is perfect for e beginner looking for painless improvement.

Profile E-mail  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]