The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:18 am 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Fix for CT-ART and others under Vista
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:40 pm 
If you're still having trouble getting CT-ART, Total Chess Training, Chess Strategy 2.0, etc., to run under Windows Vista, install the software to a separate folder other than the default \Program files\. I created one called \Total_Chess and installed to it -- the software runs fine.

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: Fix for CT-ART and others under Vista
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:44 pm 
Steve Lopez wrote:
If you're still having trouble getting CT-ART, Total Chess Training, Chess Strategy 2.0, etc., to run under Windows Vista, install the software to a separate folder other than the default \Program files\. I created one called \Total_Chess and installed to it -- the software runs fine.

Good tip!

It might be however that this only works with 32 bit versions. I have a 64-bit Vista version and it won't even start the install routine in the first place, even if I use compatibility mode.

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:50 pm 
Jeroen wrote:
Steve Lopez wrote:

Good tip!

It might be however that this only works with 32 bit versions. I have a 64-bit Vista version and it won't even start the install routine in the first place, even if I use compatibility mode.

Yep, that's a major Vista issue. It's a real crapshoot as to whether or not a particular piece of software can be installed. I have some programs which are 10 years old that install and run fine; others as recent as five years can't even be installed (just as you say).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:54 am 
I have Windows 7 (64-bit) on a quad-core Intel processor. I installed CT Art 3.0 just fine, but when I tried to start the program, it would give strange errors and the program would never run. So, I uninstalled CT ART 3.0, and then re-installed CT ART 3.0 to "c:\Total Chess Training", instead of "c:\Program Files (x86)\Total Chess Training". And now it works!

Thought this may help others out there with the same problem.

Best wishes.

--
Ivoryknight

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:39 pm 
ivoryknight wrote:
I have Windows 7 (64-bit) on a quad-core Intel processor. I installed CT Art 3.0 just fine, but when I tried to start the program, it would give strange errors and the program would never run. So, I uninstalled CT ART 3.0, and then re-installed CT ART 3.0 to "c:\Total Chess Training", instead of "c:\Program Files (x86)\Total Chess Training". And now it works!

Thought this may help others out there with the same problem.

Best wishes.

--
Ivoryknight

Thanks for verifying that it works in the 64-bit version! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:57 am 
ivoryknight wrote "So, I uninstalled CT ART 3.0...":

Did you just delete the folder in Program File (x86), or were you able to use Control Panel?

I have this very same problem but have now way to uninstall except by deleting the folder.

Added 4/17/10: CT ART 3.0 did not show up in Control Panel on my laptop (Vista 64-bit). However, there is an uninstall program (unwise.exe) located in the folder on the c drive. I used it successfully to remove the nonfunctional install of CT-Art 3.0 from my laptop.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:03 pm 
Hallo,

Seeing the trouble getting the Covekta-stuff running on Windows Vista, i think we answered the queston best chess-software with a big NO. Better go for the Chessbase-stuff. I still work with Chessbase9 and only installed the first update.

Groet,
pita5

Profile E-mail  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]