The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:52 am 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: chess training software
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:32 am 
i am uscf rated 1563.i have been stuck at this rating for several years now.what training software do you recomend to improve my overall game(opening,middle game,and end game. thank you. njknauf@yahoo.com

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: chess training software
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:43 am 
NJKNAUF wrote:
i am uscf rated 1563.i have been stuck at this rating for several years now.what training software do you recomend to improve my overall game(opening,middle game,and end game. thank you. njknauf@yahoo.com

I'll crib from a Chess Life answer given by Larry Evans a decade ago with some advice on how to improve. I'll toss in some software suggestions along the way.

1) Study tactics. All strong players will tell you that tactics will get you farther than anything else. ChessBase's Intensive Tactics Course and Killer Moves CDs will help, as will any good tactics book.

2) Study endgames. It's no good to have a middlegame advantage only to blow it because your endgame technique stinks. Fritz Endgame Trainer will help (but you need one of the Fritz family of playing programs to use it). My favorite basic endgame book is I.A. Horowitz' How to Win in the Chess Endings, but there are a lot of other good endgame books available, too.

3) Study basic strategic principles. For software, look into ChessBase's 3-CD set Basic Principles of Chess Strategy -- it's excellent. For a great single-volume book, my fave is Ludek Pachman's Modern Chess Strategy.

4) Don't spend a lot of time on the openings. In Evans' estimation, no player rated under 2000 needs to memorize specific opening variations. Just know the basic ideas behind the openings you play. There are great heaping gobs of basic opening books; the traditional starting place is Reuben Fine's The Ideas Behind the Chess Openings.

5) Play as much chess as you can. Experience is the best teacher.

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:51 am 
NJKNAUF wrote:
what training software do you recomend to improve my overall game(opening,middle game,and end game. thank you. njknauf@yahoo.com

Tactics, grasshopper :!:

In addition:

CT-Art 3.0 by Convekta. Some time on the market now, but still quite good.

also the makers of Chess Assistant.

Two books I especially like:
Lazslo Polgar's hugh volume "Chess: training in 5333+1 positions" available for a dump prize all over the place
"Sharpen your tactics" by Lein and Archangelsky; highly portible and you can even study from it without a chess board.

Good luck,

Jeroen

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:35 am 
Jeroen wrote:

And I see that another Kamikaze has arrived at the Exchange! :D

Good to see you, Jeroen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:21 pm 
CTART 3.0 is great. I use it up to level 3 over and over again. Over and over again is the key! Aside from that, playing slow games and going back and annotating those games are also very very helpful.

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:07 pm 
Steve Lopez wrote:
Jeroen wrote:

And I see that another Kamikaze has arrived at the Exchange! :D

Good to see you, Jeroen!

Steve!

What happened? :twisted:

Looking at your picture you must have seriously cut down on the BBQ's :!:

BTW We'll close down the summer season coming Sunday with a family barbecue. I hope the current weather holds for just a few days. After that it's back to the storage with the thing....

All the best....

Jeroen

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:18 am 
Jeroen wrote:

Steve!

What happened? :twisted:

Looking at your picture you must have seriously cut down on the BBQ's :!:

BTW We'll close down the summer season coming Sunday with a family barbecue. I hope the current weather holds for just a few days. After that it's back to the storage with the thing....

All the best....

Jeroen

It's the new "2-D Weight Loss Program" that's all the rage here in the States.

Seriously, I've lost a lot of weight this year -- it's probably all the American Civil War field work I've been doing (my motto is "I've never met a barbed wire fence I couldn't conquer").

IIRC, the last time a pic of me hit the Web, you were making fun of the shape of my head. %)^$%( critics.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]