The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:28 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Knight

Post subject: training cd-Deadly Threats
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:58 am 
Do i have to have CB8 To run the new Deadly Threats cd or can i use it with CB light? :?:

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: training cd-Deadly Threats
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:50 pm 
Eugene Smith wrote:
Do i have to have CB8 To run the new Deadly Threats cd or can i use it with CB light? :?:

All CB CD's come with a free ChessBase Reader, a light version of CB7. You can't run it under CB Light as it cannot handle the "new"cbh-database format yet. :x

But as you can see you don't need CB8 as well, as everything is on the CD what you need. :lol:

Interested about what you think of it if you buy it.

All the best,

Knight

Post subject: Deadly Threats cd
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:13 pm 
Thank you Jeroen.Now i have to make up my mind as to CB`s Deadly Threats or Chess Tactics Art 3.0 :?:

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:38 am 
i am familiar with both programs....
deadly threats is not caomparable with CT-art.
deadly threats is in fact renko's 3rd disk for chessbase in tactics. the second volume was called 'killer moves' the first I think was rekko's tactics training.
the material is very different in max blokh's ct-art 3. in terms of feedback and thematic organization also different structure.
renko is interesting didactically and not for the most part difficult for astrong player, i think he includes too many problematic studies by troitsky , kasparian, etc particularly in deadly threats.
max blokh's ct-art3 is designed to give the student user a training effect. it also keeps arecord of your performances as amotivator, including graphs.
chessbase trainers are good enough,especially will be more interesting now that chessbase supports video with chessboards called 'streaming multimedia,' but there's no content of this type yet available. and no use ful graphs in chessbase unless one considers game histpgrams and opening pie-charts. not a way to track performance of exercises.

User avatar  Offline
Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:19 pm 
Hi Eugene, hi LooseDigit, :)

CT-ART 3.0 is on my opinion the best existing chess program on tactics.

Its doubtless advantage is unique presentation of the instructive material which has no analogues.

Each of the positions is selected in such a way that White win if White move while Black win if Black move. Flexible hint system worked out for the CT-ART 3.0 program stipulates the following: If a pupil makes a mistake special markers appearing on the screen help him/her by revealing the right idea, text or tactical method required in this or that exercise. If the pupil repeats the mistake, the program gives an additional exercise on the board sized 5x5. Solving the latter simpler exercise the pupil grasps the idea that was to be realized in the original position.

Each of the CT-ART’s 1217 positions are classified into three independent contents parts: Tactical methods, Combination motifs and Difficulty.

I’d also suggest you reading a review by the expert Robert Pawlak to get more info on CT-ART: http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/rjpawlak/r ... RT3.0.html

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:34 pm 
I do not know how to say what is the best stuff.
I think what is best depends on who you are and what level you are at.
Ct-art3 I think is great for a strong club player who has not trained before.
A weaker player than that needs something else. An Ecpert or Master also needs 'better.'
If the best is the toughest, then I will tell you my favorite e-tactics stuff is out-of-print, but I have it and I use it.
When Chess Informant collection was available in chessbase format, it had included the tactics section of that journal completely. Great Stuff-- I import it into ChessAssistant for real training.
Another publication formerly distributed by Chessbase on disk is now only available in printed page from Hungary, the two voolume set on tactics by Istvan Pongo. Even a Grandmaster or certainly a coach can benefit from this pair of floppy disks.
The great strength of CT-ART is the way it is structured to learn. It asks more of you than the US$18 printed edition of the examples, called 'Combinational Motifs.'
Renko is more about teaching patterns than training. I find that on chessbase disks with training questions, too much time is allocated for the answer to each question, and unlike the ChessAssistant training disks, the amount of time the student uses is not stored for use. So the scores produced on chessbase disks cannot tell you how well the student is really doing. That makes ChessAssistant training more practical, and more simulative of tournament experience while chessbasetraining is an exagerrated form of the printed word with an electronic chessboard.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]