The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:25 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Rook

Post subject: Free program to practise guess the next move in a game
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:00 am 
Purdy, Heisman, Soltis, among others, recommend going through collections of master games while predicting the moves for the winning player. I have tried this in the past (a) using a book of games and masking out the moves to be predicted, and (b) using chess assistant's test button to hide the moves not yet predicted. It was all a bit of a struggle until I stumbled upon Guess The Move by Fred Mellender. This a free program that: automates guessing the moves of any set of pgn games; provides feedback on each guess; gives a total score; and allows users to play the game out from the point that the loser resigned (Soltis is keen on this latter form of training). The program includes Stockfish, and according to the author you can use other UCI engines. If they so wish users can ask the engine to 'prove' that their wrong guesses are indeed wrong.

The interface is attractive and crisp and the author has added some useful tips for using the program. It will work in windows 7, and I have tested it successfully in vista and xp sp3 with the latest dotnet upgrade.

This free program seems to me to be an excellent tool for learners/improvers taking up the challenge of predicting their way through large numbers of master games.

More information and download links here: https://sites.google.com/site/fredm/

PS If a GM resigned what benefit would a beginner have from trying to play on from the point of view of the winner? Would it not be a better use of study time to, say, begin another predict-the-move? Just wondering.

Last edited by Alastair_Allan on Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar  Offline

Post subject: Re: Free program to practise guess the next move in a game
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:10 am 
That looks very interesting, I think I'll try it out. Many thanks for the link! :)

Last bumped by Alastair_Allan on Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:10 am.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]