The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:28 am 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: New Action Chess Development
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:08 am 
My group is working on a chess game that is a bit more arcade game play and I wanted to post one of our screenshots to see what you guys think. We want to sell then game eventually when we finish it. So any input would be appreciated. I don't yet have any pics of the "Action" portion which will entail explosions and otter effects based on unit type.
Please let me know what you think or would like to see added.

Thanks so much

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline

Post subject: Re: New Action Chess Development
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:32 pm 
It looks quite impressive to me. Nicely rendered pieces and board. The piece design is stylish but still easy to distinguish the pieces from each other. Similar software sometimes shows reflections of the pieces in the board which can be nice if done well.

The viewing angle for the board is rather shallow (it's difficult to see the white pawns directly in front of the white pieces). Will a user be able to alter the angle to their own taste?

I would expect some of the empty black space to be filled (perhaps optionally) with

1. a scoresheet of the moves of the game being played
2. an option panel to allow the user to make changes e.g. choose computer playing strength, 1 or 2 human players, save the game, load a saved game, take back a move, ask for a hint, switch to a 2D board, sound on/off etc.
3. Time control options
4. a resign button / switch sides button
5. if you want to reach more than just casual chess players, it would be a good idea to allow games to be saved as a PGN file and exported.

That's my initial thoughts - You're probably thinking along those lines already anyway, but I hope it's some help.

Good luck!

Post subject: Re: New Action Chess Development
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:31 am 
Yes we were considering many of those features. We have a few other chess sets that we will launch with along with other selectable options.

We will also be putting together a free demo any anyone that wants one can reply here. We will be finishing the beta release in a few months. I really appreciate the input.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: here is another pic
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:27 am 

Profile E-mail  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]