The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:59 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Pawn

Post subject: Deep fritz 12
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:42 am 
Now fritz 12 is here but i wait for deep fritz 12 to come. When it will come?

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject: Re: Deep fritz 12
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:06 pm 
This is what I got by email direct from Steffen at Chessbase
"Deep Fritz 12 will hopefully come in the first half of next year."

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:19 pm 
Kemuri wrote:
This is what I got by email direct from Steffen at Chessbase
"Deep Fritz 12 will hopefully come in the first half of next year."

That's typically the case. Fritz comes out in time for Christmas, Deep Fritz comes out in time for...uhhhhhh...the World Open maybe?

User avatar  Offline
King

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:00 pm 
I still can't believe they're offering deep AND non-deep versions. It difficult to buy a computer with only one core these days! :)

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:31 pm 
Kemuri wrote:
I still can't believe they're offering deep AND non-deep versions. It difficult to buy a computer with only one core these days! :)

That may be a Franz Morsch thing. Franz may be asking $x more for the rights to market a multi-processor version, which would explain why there are two versions as well as explaining the price difference between them. Nothing definite here, just a guess.

Pawn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:10 pm 
by the time deep fritz 12 will come , deep rybka 4 have already clinched the first spot

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:22 pm 
paras_mishra2001 wrote:
by the time deep fritz 12 will come , deep rybka 4 have already clinched the first spot

And two weeks later, something else will take the top spot. And on and on and on. It's all so 1990's.

User avatar  Offline
King

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:18 am 
Steve Lopez wrote:
It's all so 1990's.

LMAO :lol:

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:42 pm 
Kemuri wrote:
Steve Lopez wrote:
It's all so 1990's.

LMAO :lol:

You're right to laugh but the sad part is that I'm serious. I've told this story before (probably here more than once) but back in the mid-1990's every issue of Inside Chess (in the good ol' days when it was the best print chess publication around) carried multiple ads for chess programs which boasted wildly inflated ratings ("ChessMonster 4 has a performance rating of 3025!" -- meaning that it won an offhand blitz game against a 2700 GM in a skittles room somewhere). Back then, just about every software company had programmers or reps posting to the Compuserve chess forum, and I wrote a longish post about the silliness of it, that 99% of the potential customer base would get kicked around by a program rated 2200, and that improvement features geared to average players, not brute strength, would be the selling point of the future.

The "rating ads" tailed off almost immediately, and we started seeing ads for features that could help the average Joe Patzer. Was it my doing? I don't know, but I'd like to think so.

These days the only people who are super-concerned about software ratings seem to be the "my computer can beat up your computer" crowd. Which is OK, I guess -- it's cheaper than drag racing anyway.

User avatar  Offline
King

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:32 pm 
Steve Lopez wrote:
These days the only people who are super-concerned about software ratings seem to be the "my computer can beat up your computer" crowd. Which is OK, I guess -- it's cheaper than drag racing anyway.

But not necessarily by a great margin. A post of 'r-y-b-k-a-f-a-n' from rybkaforum:
"I would not hesitate to pay $1000 for Rybka 4,
btw I just invested $75,000 on the SGI octaneII, (20 quad core core, W5590 nehalem processor) for Rybka 4
Are you willing to pay $1000 for rybka 4, Vas needs the encouragement!!!."

The poster is from Emirates and I rather believe his claim. :shock:

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:23 pm 
mrmip wrote:

I do too. We had a poster here a few years ago (and who also emailed me almost daily) who used to post (i.e.brag) all the time about how much money he spent on his system and how his Fritz could kick your Fritz' butt. He also could not believe that I didn't spend huge sums of money constantly upgrading my system as he did.

I forgot what I said to hack him off, but I eventually got rid of him. :mrgreen:

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:30 am 
mrmip wrote:
Steve Lopez wrote:

But not necessarily by a great margin. A post of 'r-y-b-k-a-f-a-n' from rybkaforum:
"I would not hesitate to pay $1000 for Rybka 4,
btw I just invested $75,000 on the SGI octaneII, (20 quad core core, W5590 nehalem processor) for Rybka 4
Are you willing to pay $1000 for rybka 4, Vas needs the encouragement!!!."

When I went to University way back in 1981 starting my study astronomy I got an introduction at the computer center. We were still working with terminals and all those things making up a big hall was the computer and its (magnetic tape) storage. Then the guy took us to a corner and showed us two small cubes roughly one cubic meter each. "this" he said "is the CD -343" (or something like that. "It has more potential than everything else you see here. And it has two hard disks with a capacity of 340 MEGABYTE EACH!"

I was awed. Fort the first time in my life I was standing next to a supercomputer with unlimited storage.

Given the specs of a PC I bought ten years later, and my laptop now, I'm very pleased to know that I didn't spend all those millions of some machine now outperformed by my phone with a lousy 2 gigabyte storage on a tiny card with a surfcace of about a quarter of a centimeter. I got it all for "free" with my cellphone bundle. :mrgreen:

Investing 75,000 in a computer you can emulate with 20 connected PC's for $300 each is even now a little weird investment. Well, at least you can't drag race for 6000. Maybe build and operate a battlebot?

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:49 pm 
Jeroen wrote:
Maybe build and operate a battlebot?

Sure, if that sport was still around. :(

You could build a lightweight for about a grand a decade ago, so I figure $2.5K in today's money. Six large would probably get you a decent middleweight.

User avatar  Offline
King

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:12 pm 
Steve Lopez wrote:
Kemuri wrote:

That may be a Franz Morsch thing. Franz may be asking $x more for the rights to market a multi-processor version, which would explain why there are two versions as well as explaining the price difference between them. Nothing definite here, just a guess.

Interesting you'd mention money. They always seem to at least double the cost, but in reality the quality of the program relative to the doubling of price, would seem to make the "deep" version less valuable. But I suppose if you are playing in the chessbase room, with your computer against other computers, for some it may make it worthwhile.

I read a while back that Windows itself was going to start programming to use multiple cores for work within programs, rather than just using one core for photoshop, one core for your browser, etc. If this is true, then it would make deep versions kind of irrelevant.

The truth is, as far as pricing, they should be not much more than single-processor versions. Maybe it's parsing the programming over the cores, but it would seem the programming wouldn't be that much different, that much harder. The basic program would be the same.

Anyway, I guess it's like what kind of gas you buy. If you want to, you can buy "supreme." But it'll run just fine on regular. And for players like myself, struggling to even re-attain the 1800-ish, rating of my youth, it boils down to paying twice as much for the same result.

Pawn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:28 am 
After defeating deep blue kasparov said this machine can think millions of moves but can play only one

Profile E-mail  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next