The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:00 am 

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Pawn

Post subject: New Fritz 8 upgrade available
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:20 am 
I have Fritz 8 that showed a date of April 2004 in the Help screen.

Tonight I click "Check for upgrade" and it told me it was upgrading from version 19 to version 24.

After the upgrade, the date in Fritz 8 is Jan 10, 2005.

User avatar  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:43 pm 
I've updated my version too. Does anyone know what's new in the update? I can't see anything obvious? :?

Post subject: Upgrade?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:52 pm 
I've got Fritz 8 Deluxe and am wondering how to upgrade...it says August 25 2004 right now...please tell me how to "check for upgrade".

Also, I just got Fritz 8 and am a beginner, any tips on how to get started and take most advantage of all this has to offer? No obvious tutorials and this thing didn't come with a user guide of any kind.

I can play games against Friend mode, but am not learning anything from hacking away at it. Most of the time it resigns anyway....

Thanks for any help you can give a lost beginner,

Brant

User avatar  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:13 pm 
Hi Brant.

Log onto Playchess.com. Under the help menu there is an option 'Query upgrade'.

How to get the most out of Fritz depends on your strength. The 'Friend' mode will automatically adjust to your playing strength. Instead of overtyping a handicap in the popup box it will suggest a handicap for you. If you lose a game then next game it should increase your handicap - if you win it will decrease it (the lower your handicap the better Fritz will play).

If your handicap is higher than 250 you might want to try the 'Handicap and Fun' option (File>New>Handicap and Fun) You can choose a preset character or adjust the features to whatever you want. The biggest effect on playing strength is to adjust the blunder range. Higher blunder range = more blunders from Fritz!

Another option is 'Sparring'. Fritz plays a reasonably good game but it will deliberately make mistakes. If you make the diffculty 'very easy' it will make bigger mistakes! If you check the 'point out wins' box Fritz will flash a red light when it has made a bad move - otherwise you have to stay alert and spot the mistakes yourself!

There aren't any tutorials as such but many of the features are very useful and instructive. Explore the options and you'll find lots of good stuff.

For example, if your stuck for a move, you can ask for a hint (Help>Hint). Switching the 'Spy' option on (Help>Spy) shows what Fritz wants to do next move. The Coach function (Help>Coach is watching) will alert you if you make a mistake and give you the choice of taking the move back.

There's lots of great articles on getting the most out of Fritz on www.Chessbase.com. Click 'Support' from the menu at the top and browse through the Fritz8 articles (the 'T-notes' are also excellent).

One more thing - you can stop Fritz resigning in bad positions - under Tools>Options click the 'Game' tab and under Resign choose 'never'.

Have fun!

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: Upgrade?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:28 pm 
Brant wrote:
I've got Fritz 8 Deluxe and am wondering how to upgrade...it says August 25 2004 right now...please tell me how to "check for upgrade".

If you login at the playchess server, you can query for an upgrade through the help option. If that doesn't work, try this link.

http://www.fritzserver.org/updates/gui8.iup

Download the update, put it in the c:\program files\chessprogram8 folder and doubleclick the file iupgrade.exe you'll find there as well. It will start the update procedure manually.

Brant wrote:
Also, I just got Fritz 8 and am a beginner, any tips on how to get started and take most advantage of all this has to offer? No obvious tutorials and this thing didn't come with a user guide of any kind.

The program has a lot of features. Some people complain that there's to little information, but when ChessBase put it into print as a voluminous manual once, it was considered to much. :)

The help file consists everything, and should be used as a manual if you want to learn more about the program. Take your time to browse the various parts. Hit F1 and find what you're looking for.

King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:50 pm 
I agree there at first I was dissapointed that there was no real manual. After I found out how good the help system works I think they were very smart by not waisting the paper on a manual!

Learux

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:52 pm 
SonOfPearl wrote:
There aren't any tutorials as such

Not so. See:

http://www.chessbase.com/support/index.asp?cat=T%2DNotes+2000

and scroll to the bottom of the page. Even though the 13-part series of articles is about Fritz6, it's still nearly 100% applicable to Fritz8 and its sister programs (like Shredder9).

There's also more than 300 other articles on the site which describe using Fritz & ChessBase. I know -- I wrote them. :wink:

User avatar  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:41 pm 
My apologies Steve. I thought Brant was refering to tutorials on how to play better chess (within the Fritz program itself) rather than tutorials on how to use the program.

Your T-notes are the best... :D

My favourite way to learn is to have Fritz analyse my games for me. Very enlightening!

Actually, I suppose the opening and endgame training options count as tutorials in any case - there's so much in Fritz no wonder you wrote so many articles!

Thanks

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject: reply
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:37 pm 
All of You Chess Program playing People that show any enthusiasm toward really getting most of the answers conserning Programs should download and save all of Steve's T-Notes. Thier the Bible when It comes to Chess Programs. Thier FREE download Them Son.>>>>Mike

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:46 pm 
Ok I have updated to latest patch Jan 10 2005 and after reading Steves Fritz 6 tutorials (very good Steve :-) ). Tried to give the Coach a go and cannot get it working. I have set the Threshold as Steve suggests to 50, and have under Help checked Coach is Watching. Even if I discard my queen I get nothing. I have tried setting threshold to 1 and toggling Coach is watching which seems to have no effect.

Apologies if I am being stupid, I have searched the forum for any other details and none were found.

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.

Post subject: Thank you very much!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:19 pm 
Jeroen - thanks so much for the link and the instructions on manually updating - worked like a charm. Sorry to have asked a redundant question, but the link I found before this didn't work for me.

Steve - I will read through your T notes and pull as much as I can from them, thanks for pointing them out to a newbie - I had only focused on notes specific to Fritz8.

Have a great week,
Brant

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]