The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:46 am 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Novag Citrine sudden death bug
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:49 pm 
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone with a Novag Citrine has the same problem with sudden death mode that I do. When your time runs out, the board is supposed to beep 3 times and the LED displays 'FLAG' but mine doesn't do either- it just goes into another longer countdown mode where you can keep playing, but I want to know exactly when my time runs out- like in a real clocked sudden death game. I did read that there are some glitches with sudden death on this machine, but none specifically mentioned this problem. Is this a known defect or is my board just defective? Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: Novag Citrine sudden death bug
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:15 pm 
bferrell wrote:
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone with a Novag Citrine has the same problem with sudden death mode that I do. When your time runs out, the board is supposed to beep 3 times and the LED displays 'FLAG' but mine doesn't do either- it just goes into another longer countdown mode where you can keep playing, but I want to know exactly when my time runs out- like in a real clocked sudden death game. I did read that there are some glitches with sudden death on this machine, but none specifically mentioned this problem. Is this a known defect or is my board just defective? Thanks.

This doesn't seem to be a firmware problem. I found this message from 2007, mind you, on this message board:

http://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/f2 ... -1431.html

where the board member describes the problem you have under 2). But, according to Novag (as he wrote them for clarification) this is a feature, not a bug. "This is not a bug but rather is a point of design view. The time shown on the LCD always show the time of the move party.", thus the statement from NOVAG. :$ Hmmm.

Good to hear people still using standalone chess computers and boards instead of computer screens. I still have my 1986 Scisys and a parallel DGT-Board I recently converted from parallel to USB with a small connecting cable. Nothing beats the fun of moving real chess pieces.

Best,

Post subject: Re: Novag Citrine sudden death bug
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:29 am 
Thanks for the research and input Jeroen. I wish my German was better so I could better understand the rest of the post. If the machine is designed to act this way, I guess when Novag changed the firmware, they didn't bother to correct the manual which says the machine is supposed to beep 3 times and display 'Flag' when time runs out. If this was an upgrade to the firmware, it was an ill thought out one. Who wants to keep looking at the display as their time runs down, waiting to see it hit zero? The moment comes and goes and if you're concentrating on a move, you don't know that your time is up but I guess it's not much different from an old chess clock that you have to keep looking at to see if the flag has fallen. It's a relief to know my particular machine isn't defective- I bought it second hand from a craigslister in NYC, and I don't know if there is anyone who services these- so thanks for pointing that out to me.

Yes, I really don't like staring at computer screens and playing chess. I wanted this machine because my brother passed away last December. He taught me how to play chess when I was 5 and we enjoyed the game much together. I wanted something like he and I used to play on. Like you say, "Nothing beats the fun of moving real chess pieces." Plus, playing chess on a wood board with wood pieces gives the game a warm, traditional feel that a sterile computer monitor can never equal. My brother taught me to play on his wood set, too.

Profile E-mail  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]