The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:49 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Question about Recent Foxy Opening DVD's
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:20 pm 
Would anyone be able to tell me if any of the newer Foxy Opening DVD's, which explain a black/defensive opening strategy, illustrate the chess board for the viewer from black's perspective? i.e., with the black pieces on the bottom of the board.

(A few of the older Foxy Opening VHS Tapes that I have explain both black and white strategies invariably from white's perspective; i.e., with the white pieces at the bottom of the board. As a novice, I have always questioned why, at least in the older VHS videos, Foxy choose not to illustrate defensive strategies from black's side of the board. Seems like it would be easier to visualize and learn a defensive, opening strategy from black's visual perspective.)

Many thanks.

Bruce

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: Question about Recent Foxy Opening DVD's
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:41 am 
I asked the producer of the Foxy Chess opening DVDs and here is his response:

Any of the new Foxy Opening DVDs are all from the side that it covers, with the black pieces on the bottom, the English has the white pieces on the bottom, Sicilian is on the bottom etc. The problem has been addressed

You can get the recent Foxy Chess Opening Videos from the Chess Exchange's sponsor ChessCentral.com.

http://www.chesscentral.com/chess_dvds_opening_s/91.htm

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:50 pm 
Hi Caissa,

Thank you for taking the time to get a response to my question from Foxy.

Can I assume that Foxy means that any and all of its DVDs are considered "new" and, therefore, display the pieces from the side covered in the DVD (i.e., a Black defensive opening with Black pieces on the bottom)? ...or when they say "new Foxy Opening DVDs," do they mean the newer DVDs?

I don't mean to be splitting hairs here. Just don't want to wind up purchasing Foxy Defensive Opening DVDs if they are going to portray the board from White's perspective.

Thank you again for your help.

Bruce

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:24 pm 
Hi,

Sorry about being so cryptic :)

If the opening is being played for black then the Black pieces are on the bottom if its played for white then the white pieces are on top.

I think new Foxy DVDs would start with Foxy Volume 80 and above. I know for sure that these were produced in the last couple of years. Many of the early Foxy DVDs came from old VHS videos from SmartChess and then reformatted into DVDs. The volumes 80+ were made by Chess on DVD and produced to be on DVD. So these should be the ones that have the boards in the correct position.

Would love to hear a review (especially if posted in the review area of ChessCentral) on the Foxy Series. Lance Martin sent in one on the new Foxy Modern Defense DVDs that just came out and we should have his comments up soon.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:05 am 
Hi Caissa,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question regarding the position of the Black pieces in the recent Foxy Defensive Opening DVDs. Your explanation was very helpful, since I would be interested in purchasing the Foxy DVDs on the Modern Defensive System with Andrew Martin, if Black is illustrated from the bottom of the board, - which it should be since these DVDs are above Foxy volume 80.

Is "80" the absolute cutoff? ...or is it approximate? I ask only because I am also interessted in the Sicilian Kan, which is at the "cusp" at Foxy Volume 77. I would be grateful if you could check a reliable source for me, or better yet, if there is a phone number for the Foxy company, I would be happy to call them myself.

Sorry I'm so hung up on wanting the Black pieces at the bottom of the board for a DVD on Black, Defensive, Opening. Unfortunately, at my level of ability, I just don't find a Defensive Opening DVD with Black at the top very helpful.

I was thinking about rigging up something in front of the monitor with mirrors, ...but no luck. :D

Thank you again for all your help.

Bruce

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:36 pm 
I purchased couple of foxy Opening DVDs and three of them mentioned that in te accompanyin "Booklet" you will find the games discussed, and other relative informaion. However, I did not get any accompanying booklets.

How can I go about getting the referenced booklets, for the French 1, and French 1 DVD

Please advise

acelux

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:07 pm 
Hi,

I just got this email from the publisher of Foxy DVDs:

On the video they mention booklet with does not exist any more there are now database that can get all the games mention like chessbase mc8000 etc.

Here is a link to MC8000:

http://www.chesscentral.com/chess_software_p/mc8000.htm

I hope that helps!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]