The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:54 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Unknown book...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:42 pm 
Hi,

This is probably highly unlikely, but can anyone help me track down a chess book?

I had it about 25 years ago. Can't rememmber the author or title. It was unusual, though, in that you started by working through a problem on page 1. If you were successful, you were referred (say) to page 83. If unsuccessful, you want to page 8. And so on. The whole book was non-linear and very effective...

Anyone who can recall the book's details can have 2 million brownie points.

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject: Re: Unknown book...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:51 pm 
I think you are referring to "Chess The Complete Self-Tutor" by Edward Lasker, which had this methodology. My copy is from Batsford , 1988 on 'Popular' series.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:00 pm 
Somehow, that title does seem faintly familiar . . .

Thanks for the tip.

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Rook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:18 pm 
Yeah I picked a copy of Complete CT at a car boot sale a couple of years ago (just bought it because it was there, and Chess related to be honest) it was only about £2 - it’s going for something like £45 on Amazon now, though they are described as in good condition and my copy was a wreck when I got it.

I have been through it, it’s pretty good, but to be honest a bit dated now and there are better and more modern books out there. I’ve never been a huge fan of Edward Lasker’s writing though, so it may well be a classic to some people.

Profile E-mail  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]