The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:30 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Pawn

Post subject: comparing Excalibur Grandmaster and Novag Obsidian
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:38 am 
I currently own the Excalibur Grandmaster, and was thinking of selling it and getting the Novag Obsidian. Does anyone think that this is a bad idea?

It just seems that the Obsidian is built better, and I think I might be able to turn the sound off on the obsidian so that it doesn't make that annoying beep everytime I pick a piece up.

thanks for any hlep that you can provide!

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: comparing Excalibur Grandmaster and Novag Obsidian
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:10 pm 
jhempel24 wrote:
I currently own the Excalibur Grandmaster, and was thinking of selling it and getting the Novag Obsidian. Does anyone think that this is a bad idea?

It just seems that the Obsidian is built better, and I think I might be able to turn the sound off on the obsidian so that it doesn't make that annoying beep everytime I pick a piece up.

I'm not familiar with specification like turning beeps on and off (even my stone old table top has that ability, so I'm amazed that the Excalibur doesn't have that option) but my gut feeling tells me that the Obsidian is the better choice both in quality and refinement as in strength.

The tabletop/standalone chess computer crowd is a very dedicated group. It might be worth while to browse an hour a so looking for reviews and opinions on other forums as well, as no doubt there will be some strong opinions available.

When it comes to strength I wonder if there are many tabletops stronger than Elo 2100. The Excalibur is certainly no grandmaster, and is rated at Elo 1700 to 1800 at most. When I compare that with my own '86 tabletop, that's hardly to no progress in over 20 years. But maybe you're not looking for strength. However if you occasionally analyze your games strength might be a consideration and the Novag is claimed to have an Elo 2100 strength.

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:20 pm 
Thanks for your reply!

I posted my Excalibur on ebay for $100 to see if there was any takers there.

I figured the Obsidian was a little better, and I like the fact that it includes a case for it.

I really liked the auto-sensory board for the excalibur because I liked the blitz chess feel of it, by not having to press down on the pieces. I don't think I'll be doing that with the obsidian if you have to press down on the pieces though.

Hopefully I'll be an owner of the obsidian within the next 2 weeks!

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:58 pm 
jhempel24 wrote:
Thanks for your reply!

I posted my Excalibur on ebay for $100 to see if there was any takers there.

I figured the Obsidian was a little better, and I like the fact that it includes a case for it.

I really liked the auto-sensory board for the excalibur because I liked the blitz chess feel of it, by not having to press down on the pieces. I don't think I'll be doing that with the obsidian if you have to press down on the pieces though.

Hopefully I'll be an owner of the obsidian within the next 2 weeks!

You really should look into getting a laptop. The only thing it doesn't have is the pieces, and you can do other things too.

I don't know why they haven't improved. The opening books are incredibly small compared to computers too. They still use the same chip as my old chess-challenger. You'd think they would be able to encorporate some older chip used in computers by now, and make one a lot better. I think there is always going to be a market, as there is something romantic about moving the pieces around. This is the quality I've heard people quote when I ask them why they didn't just buy a laptop. And, there is something to be said about that. But you can always get a laptop and a board, and move the pieces yourself, and for most chess computer table-tops you are going to do that anyway.

They are also more beatable, but you can turn down the level of play if you just want to win on both types.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:03 am 
jhempel24 wrote:

So you have an Excalibur sword now? ohhh that's a nice sword.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:11 pm 
hi yes thats a great idea have the obsidian myself i havent one complaint other than it not so easy as my chess academy original verysion now disccontinued at showing and teaching major openings and variations but for pure playing ability the obsidian is a strng computer great infintae levels to analize well worth the investment if your looking at a better system

Profile E-mail  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]