The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:34 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Junior chess club
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:37 pm 
Hi,
I have started a junior chess club. I have created a blog which hopefully shows what we are trying to do and has pictures of the current members.

http://darlingtonchessclub.blogspot.com/

Does anybody have any experience with a similar venture? Any thoughts, tips or ideas? As you can see from the blog I let the kids play games, but teach them tactics in a 5 minute break from the games.

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: Junior chess club
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:58 pm 
Sorry I didn't reply sooner -- I've been pretty busy the last couple of weeks.

I think you're on the right track here. I used to teach 11-14 year olds back in the day, and I tried to make it a 25/75 split: 25% instruction and 75% playing. Kids that age are usually very eager to play/compete with each other.

The idea of blogged lessons is a good one. I was teaching pre-Internet, so I used to give one-page printed handouts. There's no guarantee a child will give it a second glance, much less actually read it :wink: , but at least you're making extra information available to those who want it.

Be ready when a few of them start asking for extra info, such as which books to read. It might be worthwhile to make a check of which chess books are available at your local library (or even the school libraries, if they'll give you that info) so that you can make "cost free" recommendations.

Post subject: Re: Junior chess club
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:18 pm 
Thanks Steve.

We are lucky at our chess club, as we have a library of between 50 - 75 chess books. Donated by the wife of a deceased member. Most are not suitable for kids either because they are too advanced, or are opening tomes.

For kids or any other beginner I would recommend 3 books
1, Chess Openings By Mike Basman
2, Logical chess move by move by Irving Chernev
3, Silman's complete endgame course by Jeremy Silman

Does anyone else have any recommendations for improving kids.

I really like Steve's idea and might try and add my three books to our library plus any other decent suggestions.

Kevin

Profile E-mail  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]