The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:34 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Getting [Back] Into the Game
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:37 pm 
Hello Everyone!

This is kind of coming out of the blue for me, but I've somehow gotten the idea to give Chess another go. I haven't played since 2007 when I was in High School,, and I've had a strange relationship with the game in my youth.

I've always held at least a passing interest in chess. The concept of the game itself and the "setting,," if you will, has always captured my interest. My grasp of chess can basically be summed up as knowing how the pieces move, that's it. In High School I became a member of the chess club in an attempt to further my understanding of the game, and because it was one of the few extracurricular activities I could "keep up" with the other students in because of my disabilities, but more on that later.

I enjoyed chess in school because it was nice to have a community I could be a part of. I could never get into sports and the fact that chess had it's own federation, titles,, and tournaments gave me a sense of belonging that I never had before. Now I never expected to be a master, but I could participate in tournaments and be like everyone else, this meant a lot to me, even if it does seem silly.

The problem came when I quickly hit a brick wall. I was never able to venture further than the basics of the game. Tactics escape my brain. My knowledge of openings consists of e4. My rating sunk and I was never able to really compete with the other players, and after high school I drifted from the game as I had more important subjects to focus on besides chess.

Now that I'm out of school and have a job that doesn't require studying, I wanted to try and tackle chess again for personal growth reasons. I'm still unsure of how to advance, however. It's hard for me to sum up my situation, as I'm not even quite sure what it fully entails. I know that I have Dysgraphia and have a hard time formulating my thoughts, which probably effects my game. I also have memory problems when it comes to certain subjects. I cannot commit directions to memory very easily and need a GPS device just to navigate my home town. Beyond that,, there may be other hurdles for me, but it's hard to explain them, if that's understandable.

I've tried books, and computer instruction, as well as my local club instruction, but it's hard to say it's helping. The lessons make sense at the time, and I can get through the material, but when I try to recall the concepts and apply them to my games, they are lost to me. I'm unsure how to proceed. I'm trying to keep myself from getting discoureaged, but the brick wall is still there, and I can't seem to find a way around it.

I was hoping I might find some kindred spirits here that may be able to relate or offer up advice. :)

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: Getting [Back] Into the Game
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:47 pm 
bmbeeman wrote:
Hello Everyone!

This is kind of coming out of the blue for me, but I've somehow gotten the idea to give Chess another go. I haven't played since 2007 when I was in High School,, and I've had a strange relationship with the game in my youth.

I've always held at least a passing interest in chess. The concept of the game itself and the "setting,," if you will, has always captured my interest. My grasp of chess can basically be summed up as knowing how the pieces move, that's it. In High School I became a member of the chess club in an attempt to further my understanding of the game, and because it was one of the few extracurricular activities I could "keep up" with the other students in because of my disabilities, but more on that later.

I enjoyed chess in school because it was nice to have a community I could be a part of. I could never get into sports and the fact that chess had it's own federation, titles,, and tournaments gave me a sense of belonging that I never had before. Now I never expected to be a master, but I could participate in tournaments and be like everyone else, this meant a lot to me, even if it does seem silly.

The problem came when I quickly hit a brick wall. I was never able to venture further than the basics of the game. Tactics escape my brain. My knowledge of openings consists of e4. My rating sunk and I was never able to really compete with the other players, and after high school I drifted from the game as I had more important subjects to focus on besides chess.

Now that I'm out of school and have a job that doesn't require studying, I wanted to try and tackle chess again for personal growth reasons. I'm still unsure of how to advance, however. It's hard for me to sum up my situation, as I'm not even quite sure what it fully entails. I know that I have Dysgraphia and have a hard time formulating my thoughts, which probably effects my game. I also have memory problems when it comes to certain subjects. I cannot commit directions to memory very easily and need a GPS device just to navigate my home town. Beyond that,, there may be other hurdles for me, but it's hard to explain them, if that's understandable.

I've tried books, and computer instruction, as well as my local club instruction, but it's hard to say it's helping. The lessons make sense at the time, and I can get through the material, but when I try to recall the concepts and apply them to my games, they are lost to me. I'm unsure how to proceed. I'm trying to keep myself from getting discoureaged, but the brick wall is still there, and I can't seem to find a way around it.

I was hoping I might find some kindred spirits here that may be able to relate or offer up advice. :)

It has been a long time, but Jerry Silman's book(s) Reassess your Chess helped me a lot. It didn't teach openings or tricks, it learns you to restructure your chess thinking. Not everybody likes his schoolmaster style, but it benefited me.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]