The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:29 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Rook

Post subject: Best book for a beginner?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:20 pm 
A good book, if not the best, is 'Guide to Good Chess' by CJS Purdy. It covers all facets of the game and is full of tips for the beginner, based on Purdy's experience teaching newcomers. His written style is very clear (non-Australian readers need to know that 'biff' means 'attack'). In my view he just beats anything by Heisman and Silman. Just the thing for a Christmas present.

Pawn

Post subject: Re: Best book for a beginner?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:26 pm 
By learning the game of chess you are opening up a whole new world of tactics that have been around for centuries. If you are willing to go through an easy course to learn the game, you will have to work through some simple basics. The basics are easy to remember, and in my opinion, are the easiest part of learning the game. Learn the fundamentals. Players wishing to learn chess are also advised to learn and practice as many tactics as time allows.

http://www.chess-sets-and-more.com/ches ... nners.html

Profile E-mail  

Pawn

Post subject: Re: Best book for a beginner?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:17 pm 
You could try out the list from this site: http://www.chess.com/article/view/5-gre ... -beginners

Those 5 books are catered for beginners

I'm also considered a beginner :lol:

Profile E-mail  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]