The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:07 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Rook

Post subject: Who is your chess hero, and why?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:19 am 
Nigel Davies in his blog suggests Emmanuel Pilkin as a suitable chess hero (i.e. as someone to emulate) on the grounds that he played classical chess, flourished beteen 1948 and (I think) 1960 at the GM level. I wonder if anyone has other suggestions and would like to know the reasons for choices.

Rook

Post subject: Re: Who is your chess hero, and why?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:45 am 
By 'Chess Hero' I do NOT mean some chess player whose life/personality one admires to the extent that they count as 'heroic'. What I meant was: which chess player, living or dead, do/would you model your play on to improve, and why do you choose him or her? Following Davies' suggestion I have picked Hermann Pilkin as my 'chess hero', as he usually opened as White with 1.e4 and apparently played in the classic mode, making him as suitable model for a beginning player.

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:19 pm 
Alastair_Allan wrote:
By 'Chess Hero' I do NOT mean some chess player whose life/personality one admires to the extent that they count as 'heroic'. What I meant was: which chess player, living or dead, do/would you model your play on to improve, and why do you choose him or her? Following Davies' suggestion I have picked Hermann Pilkin as my 'chess hero', as he usually opened as White with 1.e4 and apparently played in the classic mode, making him as suitable model for a beginning player.

Tal, because he's my tactics hero. His games are a delight to play and look over - and learn from. The other is Capablanca, for his natural style, his ideas and his flair in his chess games. Lasker is also a great choice when it comes to psychology in his games.

Pawn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:27 pm 
Grand Master Niaz Murshed of Bangladesh is my chess hero. He is a son of the soil of our country namely Bangladesh. The people of this country is very much fond of him. I like him much anyway for his good play record. Need a right visit to labelflash have much fun, bye.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:38 pm 
I have heard a lot of Emmanuel Pilkin, would like to know more about this player's history.

Profile E-mail  

Pawn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:52 pm 
Alastair_Allan wrote:

Rubinstein
I always like how he can play both positionally and dynamically.
Capablanca said about the below game that you can teach someone how to play chess!
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1119757

Not bad for one chess game! :)

http://enjoychesslearning.wordpress.com/

Profile E-mail  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]