The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Free Chess GUI With Engine Versus Engine Capability
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:42 pm 
Hello One And All.

Does anyone know of a free chess GUI that offers Engine Versus Engine Capability? The idea is for me to study positions of interest by setting them up for the engines to play out over a large number of games so I can learn about the strategies, tactics, and motifs inherent in those positions of interest.

Thanks much.

Profile E-mail  

Pawn

Post subject: Re: Free Chess GUI With Engine Versus Engine Capability
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:06 am 
Arena chess GUI might be able to do what you want. It is free and it supports engine-engine tournaments. The games of the tournaments can be made to start from predetermined positions, either from an opening book or a list of positions.

http://www.playwitharena.com/

Maybe Winboard is able to do what you want but I have found Arena very easy to setup.

If you don't need to watch the games while they are being played, there is also these tournament managers:
LittleBlitzer
cutechess-cli - a commandline program.

Arena is the only that I have used and its only problem concerning engine tournaments is that the GUI might "steal" a bit of time from the engines. I don't think it will be an issue for your application.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:34 pm 
Thanks for the feedback. The Arena link isn't working and I am not good enough with command lines to try CuteChess. However, LittleBlitzer seems adequate so far. My only problem with it is I cannot get Rybka and Stockfish to play out the lines I need once I give them those lines through
"Load Tournament Settings"-->"Starting Positions"-->"PGN"-->"Intended Line."

As you can see from the following LittleBlitzer does acknowledge the lines I need but the engines then go on to do their own thing once I check the game results:

Games Completed = 0 of 9000000 (Avg game length = 0.000 sec)
Settings = RR/32MB/Book/1000ms+100ms/M 1000cp for 12 moves, D 150 moves/PGN:1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Qxd5 3. Nc3 Qa5 4. d4 c6 5. Nf3 Bg4(1)
Time = 55531 sec elapsed, 1 sec remaining

If I am missing something here please do get back with a clarification otherwise thanks again and I look forward to working with LittleBlitzer and learning it a little more.

Profile E-mail  

Pawn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:26 pm 
Unfortunate I can't help you with LittleBlitzer because I have not used it and I'm not sure if it works on a Linux system (through Wine). My recommendation would be to register on the TalkChess forum and ask there. There are some users of LittleBlitzer and I think that also the creator of the program visits the forum. TalkChess forum registration seems to require the use of a real name. If that makes you uncomfortable, you could try the OpenChess forum.

The Arena link works for me but you could of course use Google to get to the page: Arena chess GUI.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]