The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:22 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Pawn

Post subject: Is there any method for analyzing my games ?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:07 pm 
I wonder if there is any method for someone who wants to analyze (annotate) his games in order to improve his level in chess.
Does anyone knows any book useful to above subject ? or any useful repository in the internet ?

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: Is there any method for analyzing my games ?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:40 pm 
chessmanster wrote:
I wonder if there is any method for someone who wants to analyze (annotate) his games in order to improve his level in chess.
Does anyone knows any book useful to above subject ? or any useful repository in the internet ?

Off the top of my head, I'd go with Jeremy Silman's books (like The Amateur's Mind); IIRC he mentions analyzing one's own games (as well as the games of others) as an improvement method.

Pawn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:31 pm 
Does he refers to amateurs only ?
I am a club player around 1900 rating, so i wonder if this is a book for me...
Have you any answer to this ?

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:09 pm 
chessmanster wrote:

Silman's general position was that any untitled player qualifies as an "amateur". Your best bet would be to see if a local bookstore has a copy so you might peruse it before you buy it.

Pawn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 pm 
Thank you, man...Good idea...
Silman is very respectful chesswriter so i will make a try

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:54 pm 
chessmanster wrote:

I totally agree with Steve. Silman's books will definitely help you with your analysis.

Well.. rating + rating = thousand.... there are so many ratings around - club, USCF, FIDE, national... if that's an official rating from say the USCF you might be better off with the "sequel' How To Reassess Your Chess. There Silman takes you on a tour into more positional play and tries to learn another way to assess your games.

The Amateur Mind and How to Reassess Your Chess are both eye openers so they deserve both to be part of any chess library. The only drawback is that Silman has a way of teaching and telling that doesn't appeal to everyone. But I don't think you would regret both volumes. There are also work books going with these titles if you like to practice more based on your games

Pawn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:32 pm 
It is a 1900 fide rating

I am not interested for a book to improve my game , I know plenty of this books, I search a method or a book in order to analyze the scoresheet of my games (with other words : to annotate the chessgames i play ).
Despite this, thanks for your answer

Profile E-mail  

Rook

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:52 am 
Before you spend your hard-earned cash on a book you might consider looking up Chesscafe's Bruce Pandolfini's column or
Dan Heisman's novice nook; both give advice on how to analyze chess games. You'd need to search the archives on the site
as Pandolfini has addressed this topic more than once.

Pawn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:27 pm 
Interesting information,..thks man...

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:22 pm 
Alastair_Allan wrote:
Before you spend your hard-earned cash on a book you might consider looking up Chesscafe's Bruce Pandolfini's column or
Dan Heisman's novice nook; both give advice on how to analyze chess games. You'd need to search the archives on the site
as Pandolfini has addressed this topic more than once.

Good advice. As an addition: there's also a section here, on this forum, with chess links. It might provide you with more ideas.

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:16 pm 
chessmanster wrote:
It is a 1900 fide rating

I am not interested for a book to improve my game

I'm not really sure what you're after here. Are you thinking of publishing your games? If that's the case, I don't know of any works that will help you. You may find Pandolfini and Heisman "too basic". On the other hand, game analysis is game analysis regardless of level, which is why Silman sprang to mind.

But if there's a book out there on "how to analyze your games for publication", I'm not aware of it.

Pawn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:40 pm 
Not i am not interested for publication...I am just looking for a method of analyzing my games (e.g. some steps i should follow in my analyze on my game...).

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:57 pm 
chessmanster wrote:
Not i am not interested for publication...I am just looking for a method of analyzing my games (e.g. some steps i should follow in my analyze on my game...).

Thanks! I have a little better understanding of your intent.

I would contend that analysis is analysis, that the priciples of the technique itself won't change regardless of whether you're rated 1200 or 2200 (but, obviously, the end result would likely be of a higher quality the higher your rating). So I still think the Silman books would be beneficial.

Another book I own is Practical Chess Analysis by Mark Buckley, but it's been so long since I cracked the cover on it that I really don't remember much about it. The book is no longer in print (IIRC, the publisher was the late, lamented Chess Digest).

Other possibilities include Jan Timman's The Art of Chess Analysis, and Robin Smith's Modern Chess Analysis, both still in print.

Pawn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:54 pm 
Thks man

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
King

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:16 pm 
Now when we are (as always) in this helpful mood, I'd like to mention two further books from my dustier department of a bookself:

(1) "C.J.S Purdy's Fine Art of Chess Annotation and Other Thoughts" compiled by Ralph J. Tykodi, Thinkers' Press, 1998.

(2) "The Improving Annotator - From Beginner to Master" by Dan Heisman, Chess Enterprises, 1995.

Both books give first their Author's view of how the process of annotation should be done and then proceed with several example annotations of master games.
Hope this helps.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next