The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:01 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Opening Moves?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:11 am 
Hi. I'm new to the forum and while I've played chess off and on for years, I know no theory. I have tried many times to read chess books to learn techniques. I think I'm missing something very basic. When someone writes about an Indian Openning or whatever, they show whites move and then blacks. When white makes its first move, is this the opening name? I don't see how even for learning purposes, you can show blacks move because there are so many possible combinations. Could someone help me get un-stuck on this issue?

Thanks,

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: Opening Moves?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:07 am 
Both players are making moves until a defining position is reached, a position from which an opening gets its name. For example, if White opens with 1.e4 and Black replies with 1...c5, this is the Sicilian Defense. If Black instead would play 1...c6, this is the Caro-Kann Defense. The response 1...e6 is the French Defense.

Many of these openings have sub-variations, which are determined by the next few moves. For example 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 (the Caro-Kann Defense) can lead to the Advance Variation (3.e5), the Exchange Variation, the Classical Variation, the Fantasy Variation, etc. depending on the next few moves.

SOme openings don't get defined until three or more moves are played. The moves 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 can lead to all kinds of openings, such as the Giuoco Piano (3.Bc4) or the Ruy Lopez (3.Bb5).

If you're just beginning the game, I really wouldn't worry too much about the names of the openings. It can be a very complicated thing and practically nobody knows all the names. In fact, Roy DeValt wrote a whole book of nothing but the many and varied names of the openings.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]