The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:48 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Who is right? Chess move help.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:58 am 
Two people were playing chess. During the movements a king was placed into check and it was not immediately brought to attention bc simply the players did not notice it. It wasn't until the opposing team was stuck and observing possible moves that the open king was noticed. That player then took the king to win the game. That is allowed right? The argument was the fact check wasn't said but it wasn't deliberate so the move is legal.

Who wins?

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: Who is right? Chess move help.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:18 pm 
kaconcini wrote:
Two people were playing chess. During the movements a king was placed into check and it was not immediately brought to attention bc simply the players did not notice it. It wasn't until the opposing team was stuck and observing possible moves that the open king was noticed. That player then took the king to win the game. That is allowed right? The argument was the fact check wasn't said but it wasn't deliberate so the move is legal.

Who wins?

Although a lot of people make up their own rules, officially the rules of the FIDE apply to the chess game. The king cannot be captured. That's the whole point of the concept of check. If your king is in check you have to move it out of check. If it goes unnoticed, the game must be reconstructed to the point where the king first came into check. Officially the above game is void, because illegal moves have been made on both sides. So no one wins. The official rules of chess can be found on:
http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook?id=124&view=article

3.9 The king is said to be 'in check' if it is attacked by one or more of the opponent's pieces, even if such pieces are constrained from moving to that square because they would then leave or place their own king in check. No piece can be moved that will either expose the king of the same colour to check or leave that king in check.

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:29 pm 
Jeroen wrote:
kaconcini wrote:

Who wins?

Although a lot of people make up their own rules, officially the rules of the FIDE apply to the chess game. The king cannot be captured.

On the other hand, there are loads of people who will tell you that King capture is legal in blitz chess. Some of them will even scream at you. I know -- I've been screamed at. :roll:

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:51 pm 
Steve Lopez wrote:
Jeroen wrote:
kaconcini wrote:

Who wins?

Although a lot of people make up their own rules, officially the rules of the FIDE apply to the chess game. The king cannot be captured.

On the other hand, there are loads of people who will tell you that King capture is legal in blitz chess. Some of them will even scream at you. I know -- I've been screamed at. :roll:

I once had an internet contact who developed a javascript chess game where you had to really capture the king to end the game. He thought people would learn chess faster that way. He was a bit of a nut in my opinion, but a nice and friendly guy, never a pain in the *** like so many of his fellow Usenet posters, I even hosted his script for some time when he was kicked out by his provider for not paying his domain fee in time.

Later I learned Aussie police had raided his house because he threatened to put poison in products being sold in a local supermarket and claiming money from the James Randi Foundation for moving things around with ESP or whatever. One other guying corresponding with him from the US even had Feds visiting him and raiding his computer for e-mail from the guy.

Dutch police never found me. They were too busy writing parking and speeding tickets, I guess.

They still are.

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:53 pm 
Jeroen wrote:
Dutch police never found me.

You're a regular Jesse James. :lol:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]