The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:27 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Pawn

Post subject: Why Blitz Chess??
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:12 pm 
Hi all

I have been playing informal chess with friends on and off for many years but have never been a club player or taken the game very seriously.
However i have now decided to try and improve my game a little and have started to look at a few internet chess sites. One of the things that puzzles me however is "Blitz Chess"! Everyone seems to be playing it. Why is this? I always thought that chess was a deep thinking game; so if you are forced to make very quick moves as in Blitz, then surely you are going to make lots of mistakes! Is there a good reason for playing these very short quick games? Is it good tactical and combination practice? Maybe I am missing something. Also i don't quite understand the time control in these Blitz games for example 5+2. Ok I realise the 5 is 5 minutes, but what is the +2 for?

Any help greatly appreciated

Dan hawkes

User avatar  Offline
Rook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:00 am 
Hi dandino, and welcome to the Exchange!

Blitz chess is not universally admired, so you're not alone in your disdain. It is very popular, however, as you've noticed. One reason is that you get to play many games in the time it would take to play a serious game, and not everyone has hours to devote to a single game. In fact, it may be hard to find even a 20-minute game on the net! But slow games are available, and even slow tournaments can be found on the various servers.

Don't dismiss the quality of Blitz games out of hand though. Watch some of these 2500-2700 Blitz players & you'll soon see that the games can be pretty & deep. Blitz is also good training to learn a particular opening and to develop your "sight" of the board. Besides, it's fun! The number of mistakes you make will usually be balanced by the mistakes of your opponent.

When you see time controls of 5-2 or 3-3, etc., that means you get five minutes PLUS 2 seconds for each move made. I prefer these increments myself, as it's easier for slow-witted people like me to stay in the game :)

Hope that helps!

Profile E-mail  

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:44 pm 
Thanks very much Night, you have been most helpful :D

regards
Dan hawkes

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:55 pm 
ChessCentral wrote:
Don't dismiss the quality of Blitz games out of hand though. Watch some of these 2500-2700 Blitz players & you'll soon see that the games can be pretty & deep. Blitz is also good training to learn a particular opening and to develop your "sight" of the board.

I disagree. I think GM's of that strenght can spit out 5 minute jewels _because_ they have such good visualisation techniques. Their "sight" precedes their strenght in blitz.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's exactly the other way round with improving visualisation: you have to start to recognize tactical patterns and identify positional markers, you start recognizing them very slowly.
After plenty of exercise your recognition ability speeds up to the point where you even in blitz games can discern them in a blink of an eye.

I consider blitz games a bad training for starters, especially if hanging around the net with almost exclusively blitz games is all there is to it.
I consider blitz games a good training for advanced or experienced players, who want to test and maintain their speed in recognizing standard tactical situations on the board.

Quote:
Besides, it's fun! The number of mistakes you make will usually be balanced by the mistakes of your opponent.

Disagreeing on your former statement does not imply that it's impossible to agree wholeheartedly with you here :lol:

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: Why Blitz Chess??
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:09 pm 
dandino wrote:
Hi all

I have been playing informal chess with friends on and off for many years but have never been a club player or taken the game very seriously.
However i have now decided to try and improve my game a little and have started to look at a few internet chess sites.

Hi Dan,

I never regretted the decision to join a chess club, but sometimes you just lack the time (or money) for that.

There are however people on Internet who are devoted to slower time controls. IIRC the STC Bunch (Slow Time Controls) hangs out at the free server FICS, and on other places:

http://www.happychess.org/stcbunch/

Have you also considered playing online on correspondence chess sites? There are loads of them, often for free. ItsYourTurn, http://www.verybest.de, Gameknot...
You can take your time making a move. Often you can chose to play a daya move or time controls you agreed with your opponent.

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:37 pm 
Thanks very much jeroen. I will check out those sites you mention, they sound more like the sort of thing that I;m looking for.

Kind regards

Dan

User avatar  Offline
Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:21 am 
Let me first answer your question from profesional player's point of view.

The reason we play usually play blitz games on the Internet is simple. We just play enough long time control games in the tournaments. All those games require deep concentration and by that lose of energy. Blitz chess is more relaxing, but it is also form of training. In blitz many players practice new lines (to get so called feeling of the position for instance) and also prepare themselves for timetrouble moments during tournament games. One should, however, remember than too much blitz can affect his/her play negatively by lowering player's feeling of danger and also attaching less importance to each move.

If you are trying to improve your chess, I would suggest to play longer time control games but a few blitz games per week will do nothing wrong.

Profile E-mail  

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:47 am 
I think blitz games are a very helpful technique. I would have to say that over the internet people play it for 2 reasons

1) You get to play a kit of games

and

2) Some cheaters who use chess programs over the internet sometimes can't play blitz games

Overall blitz games are actually beneficial to you. In real life you may be against the clock and in that case blitz experiance can help you out there. Sometimes someone good at blitz can have the clock on their side beating their opponent, so there is a good thing to blitz.

Profile E-mail  

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:16 pm 
I play blitz games on the internet as opposed to slow games because you cannot cheat at 5 0 time control. Many slow game opponents are in fact playing a chess program in the backround when they have even a game as fast as 2 12

User avatar  Offline
Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:35 pm 
Scrooloose wrote:
I play blitz games on the internet as opposed to slow games because you cannot cheat at 5 0 time control. Many slow game opponents are in fact playing a chess program in the backround when they have even a game as fast as 2 12

I would generally say I agreed that playing anything longer than 5/0 is asking for trouble. Personally I stick to 3/0 max and definately no inc allowed.

It can be really sad if you end up playing a long say 30 minute game only to find out later through analysis you were cheated. I don't mean that from a losing rating points view, simply the time aspect. If I wanted to play a program I can play my own and pick and choose which.

Sarah.

Profile E-mail  

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:43 pm 
I play a lot on playchess.com with slower time controls. I prefer 25+0 or longer. With this I have a rating of around 1500.
I don't think that I have run into any cheaters. I usually end up playing players rated 1300-1700 and I think most cheaters would be aiming for a higher elo than that.

Mostly though I am just too terrible to enjoy playing faster time controls.
I think my blitz rating is around 1100. :oops:

maynard

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:51 pm 
I think blitz can help you to practice some openings and perhaps improve your reflex, but probably not much more than that.
However, I think most people play blitz on the internet for fun, not so much hoping to improve their play.

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:25 pm 
Here is an interesting club of slow time control players who associate together on 3 large Internet Chess Clubs.

www.stcbunch.org

I just joined them and now have no problem finding long games.
I dont think ive met any cheater online in the 2 years ive been playing.
I annotate all my games I play by eye first then Fritz. Some players will make alot of similiar moves but they also blunder too so I assume they are just good but human.

Anyways check the stc bunch!

Knight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:06 pm 
I had the same thoughts as you did when I first noticed the blitz phase. I wondered: "What is the point?" But after playing a few blitz games in person, I noticed that blitz is its own type of fun.

You both make more mistakes than you would in a long time control game. You cannot think as deeply in those short times, so the best chess skills and thoughts are not rewarded unless they can be performed quickly. (tough to do with calculation...)

I've also found that a high quality long time control player who isn't used to blitz games can be beaten now and then by some of far lesser skill. I know on Yahoo Chess I see this a lot. People with the highest ratings are those who play extremely fast games and just try to hustle people.

I've found that playing blitz helps your instincts a bit, and helps you spot straight-out blunders more quickly.

It is good, but it isn't the be-all end-all chess game for me. I like a good mix, about 85% slower and some fast games thrown in. For me, a long game is 60m per player per game. A typical game is 15 m per player per game. Fast is anything less than that.

I suggest you try it with an open mind. Be prepared to lose a lot to people who've memorized their opening repertoire. You can minimize this by starting your own game and playing white; a lot of the hustlers haven't looked into any black hustles. Find people who're a bit below your level to start with, as they will be practiced at blitz and still better than you.

If you find someone who is about your level, you will be surprised at how much fun it is. Losses don't hurt as much, because the games are over so quickly. It is like GM Pawel said, that can cause you to devalue your individual moves in the longer games if you're not careful. Blitz games are not as tiring either, since you don't have to concentrate as long.

YMMV.

Jeremy

Knight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:43 pm 
I love playing blitz but I make horrendous mistakes with my rating usually hovering between 1300-1400.
I just started playing correspondence chess where I hold a 2100+ rating so far in a welcomer tourney at chessworld. I am not that good but you can see the difference taking time to think about a move makes.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next