The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:59 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: promoting a pawn
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:10 pm 
When a pawn crosses the board and is promoted to a queen, is that new queen fair game to be taken on the opponents next turn following the promotion.

i was recently playing a friend when the issue came up, with him claiming that a new queen could not be taken untill after the queen has made its first move. I of course responed with "NO, YOUR THINKING OF CHECKERS" and took the piece, after i won the game the win was invalidated by him and a 20$ bet was made.

any help anyone could give would be great
thanks, T.

Knight

Post subject: Re: promoting a pawn
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:56 pm 
tfw073 wrote:
When a pawn crosses the board and is promoted to a queen, is that new queen fair game to be taken on the opponents next turn following the promotion.

i was recently playing a friend when the issue came up, with him claiming that a new queen could not be taken untill after the queen has made its first move. I of course responed with "NO, YOUR THINKING OF CHECKERS" and took the piece, after i won the game the win was invalidated by him and a 20$ bet was made.

any help anyone could give would be great
thanks, T.

Yes, the Queen is free for the taking immediately after promoting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:57 pm 
thankyou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:27 am 
Hi Guys

This is something that has been puzzling me for a while now. If the newly promoted Queen is vunerable to capture immediatley after promotion then why, in a particular position did this not happen? I actually set the position up with Fritz and the computer didn't capture the queen as I would have expected it to. The position was this (or as close as I can describe in words....)
On whites side of the board there is a rook on a1, queen on c1 and bishop on e1
white pawn on a2 and a black pawn on c2 and the black queen on d4 and it is black's move. So, the black queen take the rook ....Qxa2, White queen then takes the black queen, Qxa2 and the black pawn is then moved to a1 and promoted to a queen so that black has restored his strength but, why then does white not just simply retake the black queen? I realise that this question is probably not an easy one to answer as you don't know the lay out of the rest of the board but if anyone can shed any light on this I would be very grateful. As I said, i set up this position in Fritz and the computer did not retake the promoted queen and I can see no good reason why not.

Thanks and best regards

Harry

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:00 pm 
HarryM wrote:
Hi Guys

This is something that has been puzzling me for a while now. If the newly promoted Queen is vunerable to capture immediatley after promotion then why, in a particular position did this not happen? I actually set the position up with Fritz and the computer didn't capture the queen as I would have expected it to. The position was this (or as close as I can describe in words....)
On whites side of the board there is a rook on a1, queen on c1 and bishop on e1
white pawn on a2 and a black pawn on c2 and the black queen on d4 and it is black's move. So, the black queen take the rook ....Qxa2, White queen then takes the black queen, Qxa2 and the black pawn is then moved to a1 and promoted to a queen so that black has restored his strength but, why then does white not just simply retake the black queen? I realise that this question is probably not an easy one to answer as you don't know the lay out of the rest of the board but if anyone can shed any light on this I would be very grateful. As I said, i set up this position in Fritz and the computer did not retake the promoted queen and I can see no good reason why not.

Thanks and best regards

Harry

Where's the king? A promotion and recapture can be a trap to stalemate your opponent. I would say replay the situation and switch sides. Now take the queen and see what Fritz does.

Pawn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:01 pm 
I took chess lessons when I was young and no one even mentioned that you could promote a pawn to queen!! This is cool new news for me, I just started playing chess again and I'm still a super beginner.

Profile E-mail  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]