The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:52 am 






This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

  Print view

Author Message
 Offline
Newbie
 
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:38 am
Posts: 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:56 am 
Grob's gambit is one of the worst opennings.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Bishop
 
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:06 am
Posts: 50
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:05 am 
Don´t know if this is the Englund Gambit but... 1.d4 e5 2. dxe5 f6 3. exf6 Nxf6

at least it starts like it. Seen it before?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Newbie
 
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:41 pm
Posts: 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:47 pm 
Criminal_Bishop wrote:
Don´t know if this is the Englund Gambit but... 1.d4 e5 2. dxe5 f6 3. exf6 Nxf6

at least it starts like it. Seen it before?


I play this gambit in correspondence chess at high levels and I have a very high success rate with it. This is not THAT unsound, therefore.

On the other hand, I have tried the Latvian gambit (1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 f5) and found that even experts are able to push me all around the board. This is considered to be a stronger gambit because it was played by GMs successfully, but I disagree. (Go figure.) I think that the reason that the Latvian is worse than the Englund is not the theoretical side but the practial side. In the Latvian, white finds good moves easily and black must work to find good responses. In the Englund that is reversed. It is for THAT reason that I think the Englund is superior.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Pawn
 
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 7
Location: The Netherlands
 Post subject: Be careful with opening knowledge
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:46 pm 
I've got an unsound gambit: e4 e5 f4 exf4 Nf3 g5 nothing spectulair right? Ne5?? oops forgot to play h4 :lol: d6 Nxf7 Kxf7 Qh5+ against a weak player you might just win or draw, against any other (normal) player, you're ?!?*?.


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Knight
 
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:49 am
Posts: 35
Location: india
 Post subject: halloween gambit
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:27 pm 
hi ,any one heard of the halloween gambit e5 e5 nf3 nc6 nc3 nf6 ne5!? :!: :?: interesting[/b]


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
 
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:42 am
Posts: 1430
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
 Post subject: Re: halloween gambit
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:18 pm 
pascificblue wrote:
hi ,any one heard of the halloween gambit e5 e5 nf3 nc6 nc3 nf6 ne5!? :!: :?: interesting[/b]


That's the new name for the stone old "Schultze-Müller Gambit". White gets a strong center and a pawn for a knight. White starts hunting the knights with all the pawns and frees his bishops in the procedure. You _must_ pressure black to disable his development very hard - harder than in most gambits, else you lose both the edge and the game.

Pro: a nice surprise against unknowing opponents. Con: if he knows how to accept the gambit and give back material soon, you're doomed.

A nice article:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~timkr/tour/breeze.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Knight
 
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:49 am
Posts: 35
Location: india
 Post subject: how about blitz games
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:55 am 
most gambits are tested in blitz games ,,we may try any thing in blitz games and not in classical time control :!: :!: :?: :?:


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Offline
King
 
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:20 pm
Posts: 155
Location: Eckental / Germany
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:47 pm 
Horatio wrote:
Grob's gambit is one of the worst opennings.


Michael Basman doesn't think so. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
King
 
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:20 pm
Posts: 155
Location: Eckental / Germany
 Post subject: Re: halloween gambit
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:50 pm 
pascificblue wrote:
hi ,any one heard of the halloween gambit e5 e5 nf3 nc6 nc3 nf6 ne5!? :!: :?: interesting[/b]


That's one of the best gambits on the market and it hasn't been refuted. :!:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
King
 
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:20 pm
Posts: 155
Location: Eckental / Germany
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:56 pm 
Trobalov wrote:
IMO the elephant gambit(1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d5?!) seems to me as most unsound. :roll:


I heard a strong player (rated around 2300 ELO) make a remark during a tournament in our area: "My opponent played the Elephant Gambit against me and I couldn't get any advantage." :!:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Newbie
 
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:47 am
Posts: 1
 Post subject: Englund Gambit
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:55 am 
I have found the Englund Gambit to be quite playable after using Fritz 10 at 14 ply to develope a working system with it. The following is a critical line : 1. d4 e5 2. dxe5 Nc6 3. Nf3 f6 (d6, Nge7 or Qe7 is usually played here, but exchanging the f pawn allows for quicker, more accurate development after 4. exf6 Nxf6.) 4. exf6 Nxf6 (White attempting to add pressure here with 4. f4 or 4. Bf4 is bad.) 5. Bg5 d5 (A strong move for black, confirming the f pawn exchange.) 6. e3 Be7 7. Nc3 Be6 8. a3 0-0 9. Qd3 Qd6 10. 0-0-0 (Fritz chose to castle queenside, probably because of black's open f file.) Ng4 11. Bxe7 Nxe7 12. Rd2 Qd6 13. h3 Nf6 14. e4 Qf4 15. exd5 Nexd5 16. Qd4 Rae8 17. Qxf4 Nxf4 18. Ng5 Bd5 19. Rd4 Re5 20. Rxf4 Rxg5 21. Nxd5 Nxd5 22. Rxf8+ Kxf8 23. g3 Re5 24. Bg2 c6 25. Bxd5 Rxd5 26. Rd1...Obviously, white is trading down because of the pawn advantage, but with careful play by black, the game ends as a draw. I would like to add that Fritz 10 has proven itself to be a formidable opponent at top level play, defeating the reigning world champion Vladimir Kramnik 4:2. With faster PC's utilizing such beasts as the dual processor, accompanied by strong chess programs like Fritz 10, many openings that were once considered dubious are proving to be quite playable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Rook
 
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:22 pm
Posts: 79
Location: Netherlands
 Post subject: Re: halloween gambit
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:52 pm 
chessfips wrote:
That's one of the best gambits on the market and it hasn't been refuted. :!:


Wikipedia.org wrote:
International Master Larry Kaufman, in his 2004 book The Chess Advantage in Black and White (p. 328), says that the Müller-Schulze Gambit is refuted by 4...Nxe5 5.d4 Nc6 6.d5 Bb4! 7.dxc6 Nxe4 8.Qd4 Qe7, which he attributes to Jan Pinski. However, more practice shows that it is not so simple, since 9. Be3 has scored well, although 9...Nxc3 (and if 10.bxc3, Bd6! 11.Qg7? Be5 -+) seems a good reply.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_Gambit

I've played the Halloween Gambit a couple of times too (online chess only), and find it pretty good, also because most players don't know the refutation. I also play the Sicilian Morra Gambit regularly, with pretty good results (even against 2000+ otb).

Gambits are especially good as a surprise weapon...If players know you play a certain gambit, and they're prepared, the gambit usually doesn't work well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
King
 
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:03 am
Posts: 116
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:16 am 
1. e4 f5 2. exf5 g6


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
King
 
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:57 am
Posts: 142
Location: Leeds, UK
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:28 pm 
It’s gotta be the Englund Gambit for me – black looses a pawn in the hope that he can get into early, trappy lines – if white just makes sensible moves, he can keep hold of the pawn and actually get better piece development.


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Pawn
 
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:10 pm
Posts: 11
 Post subject: Re: The most unsound gambit?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:29 pm 
Quote:
1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.Bxf7


I think that someone did that sac to me once (If not it was pretty close to that)


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 193 on Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:40 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest





cron

ChessCentral - The Leader in Cutting-Edge Chess * Buy Fritz 12 * Buy Rybka 4 * Buy Fritz Powerbook DVD


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

Style based on Andreas08 by Andreas Viklund and created by Elizabeth Shulman, Stop Animal Rights, Dog Training by corgipower