The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:06 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: King's Gambit Accepted/ Sorensen's Gambit
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:39 pm 
Hey

I wonder if anyone could give me a little help. I have chessmaster 9 at work and today i came across an opening play which i can't seem to find the best move for. It's probably glaringly obvious so try to chuckle under your breath when answering.

1.e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. kf3 g5 4. d4 g4 5. ke5 qh4

It's the Qh4 that gets me. What is white's best way of defending this?

Any help would be appreciated

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:00 pm 
4.Ke2 seems like the logical reply, and that's the move in the Powerbook 2008
d6 or d5 is the usual response, followed by a swift Nf3.

User avatar  Offline
Rook

Post subject: Re: King's Gambit Accepted/ Sorensen's Gambit
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:05 pm 
blackamnesia wrote:
Hey

I wonder if anyone could give me a little help. I have chessmaster 9 at work and today i came across an opening play which i can't seem to find the best move for. It's probably glaringly obvious so try to chuckle under your breath when answering.

1.e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. kf3 g5 4. d4 g4 5. ke5 qh4

It's the Qh4 that gets me. What is white's best way of defending this?

Any help would be appreciated

I’m just getting back into playing the King’s Gambit as part of my repertoire, after a couple of years playing d-pawn openings (I’ve found my games becoming too stale and not enough of my opponents will obligingly play 1…d5).

If Black stopping you castling with 3…Qh4+ unsettles you, you can always play 2.Nf3 the King’s Knight’s Gambit - which stops the check, but the downside is it’s not as active, or as good, as 3.Bc4 (the Bishop’s Gambit).

The thing with the King’s Gambit is, a lot of the time White has to accept they won’t be able to castle, its simply part of the opening. In reality 1.e4, e5 2.f4, exf4 3.Bc4, Qh4+ is not a very dangerous idea for Black - after 4.Kf1, Nf6 5.Nc3 Black can’t force through d5 immediately because the Queen isn’t on d8 anymore (and in fact, for the sake of that check is very awkwardly placed) where as White can look forward to playing Nf3 gaining tempo by chasing the Queen and if left undisturbed moves like d4 will follow, threatening Bxf4 (depending on where Black’s Queen has gone) getting the pawn back with a huge lead in development.

Black can actually play better with the seemingly quieter main line 3…Nf6 with a view to getting d5 in quicker, but that’s a whole load of theory which needs book study.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:14 am 
Hi. Im a 2280 ELO rated Argentinian young man. Although I don´t know much about it as I do in other openings or gambits, I really like KGA.
After 1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Nf3 g5 the usual move for trying an advantage is 4.h4!
Nevertheless the move 4.Bc4 is also acceptable and a great deal of games went this way in the fashion of the Muzio gambit after 4...g4 5.0-0.
Now I can see why 4.d4 is not an option: After 4.d4 black plays 4...g4 5.Ne5 Qh4+ kind of dooming white´s plans of getting strong initiative going for the pawn invested.
However, in my opinion, White should try to get his plans going on and play 6.g3 fxg3 7.Bg2 if he still wants to imbalance the position and try to get some development going on for more pawns. I understand if modern softwares prefer 6.Ke2, but when seeing both bad positions for white, I prefer the 6.g3 line and go for a truly romantic-style line in the memory of the Three pawns variation of the Cunningham variation of KGA:
1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Nf3 Be7 4.Bc4 Be7+ 5.g3 fxg3 6.0-0 gxh2+ 7.Kh1.

Greetings.

Profile E-mail  

Pawn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:41 pm 
You guys motivated me, I am going to get back to the Kings Gambit. Fun fun fun.

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Rook

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:55 pm 
elterremoto wrote:
You guys motivated me, I am going to get back to the Kings Gambit. Fun fun fun.

It's a great gambit :) I've started playing 3.Nf3 now though, nothing like a nice Kieseritzky gambit - 1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Nf3 g5 4.h4! very sharp stuff.

Profile E-mail  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]