The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:53 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

King

Post subject: A new line in the Milner-Barry Gambit
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:13 pm 
When I was a young player, I played gambits exclusively. One of Nimzowitsch's games (Nimzowitsch - Salwe, Carlsbad 1911) inspired me to play the Milner-Barry Gambit (I hated playing the positional lines of the French Defence). The game started:

1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. e5 c5 4. c3 Nc6 5. Nf3 Qb6 6. Bd3!? Bd7 (6. - cxd4 should be played first!) 7. dxc5! Bxc5 8. 0-0

You can find this game in any good database. Have a look at it, it is worth while.

I always hoped that my opponents would not play 6. - cxd4, but most of them did. So I had to play the Milner-Barry Gambit, because retreating the bishop would be the loss of a tempo.

My games normally continued with 6. - cxd4 7. cxd4 Bd7 8. 0-0 Nxd4 9. Nxd4 Qxd4 10. Nc3 and Black may take the pawn on e5 as well. This is very complicated stuff and you must know a lot of theory.

I discovered an article in No. 79 of the New In Chess Yearbook about the gambit. Now 9. Nbd2 (instead of 9. Nxd4) is played with good results for White, e. g.:

9. Nbd2 Nc6 10. Nb3 (that's the idea) Nge7 11. Be3 Qc7 12. Rc1 Ng6 13. Nc5 Be7 (taking the second pawn is considered risky) 14. b4 (all this seems very logical), but of course, as usual, no final conclusion can be achieved.

Carlos Matamoros, the author of the article, comes to the following conclusion:

"All in all, I suspect that 9. Nbd2 is not entirely correct 'hyper-theoretically' speaking, but for the time being it produces highly double-edged positions and difficult questions for the unprepared at the cost of only one pawn."

Is anybody willing to play this interesting gambit?

Enjoy the game! :D :)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]