The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:12 am 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar  Offline
Rook

Post subject: Queen Sacrafice
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:27 am 
Should you sacrafice a queen that will allow you to advance a pawn to have 3 rooks on the board? btw the opponent does not have a queen or rook just a Knight and 2 bishops..(endgame)

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: Queen Sacrafice
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:21 pm 
GeneralsRank wrote:
Should you sacrafice a queen that will allow you to advance a pawn to have 3 rooks on the board? btw the opponent does not have a queen or rook just a Knight and 2 bishops..(endgame)

Why bother? You already have a Queen and two Rooks -- why sac the Queen to "gain" a third Rook? The question makes no sense to me.

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:04 pm 
That would give you less than what you already have. That is a simple endgame, just mate them.

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:31 pm 
This thread is hilarious. If I were you I would sacrifice all my material and then march my pawns to promotion and mate with Knight and Bishop.

King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:39 pm 
Actually there is a famous(ish) game where the final position was:

one side: all pieces on their original squares, none lost, but no pawns.
other side: nothing left but a free-range king.

It happened because one player, in a truly lost position, refused to resign. The other therefore swapped off or promoted pawns until he had a full complement of pieces and no pawns, and amassed his army back on their original squares, simply to illustrate the silliness of his opponent! I have no idea who was deemed to have won.

I cannot remember who were the two miscreants; I just remember seeing it as a "how did this happen?" puzzle.

Pawn

Post subject: Sillyness
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:32 pm 
Once or twice when an opponents refusal to resign got under my skin, I tried to see how many queens I could get.

It does get challenging to not stalemate your opponent. I managed 5 queens in a speed game. Never had enough extra pawns to try for 6.

I am a fairly gracious person normally and I did worry that I was being rude. However, if your opponent is playing on in a clearly totally and hopelessly lost position then probably all he wants is a chance at flagging you or stalemate, and thats exactly what your giving him. Stalemate is a real risk. Plus, he is free to resign at any time.

I would think restoring the original piece configuration would be 100x harder than 5 queens.

Post subject: Re: Sillyness
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:41 am 
Spongebob666 wrote:
Once or twice when an opponents refusal to resign got under my skin, I tried to see how many queens I could get.

It does get challenging to not stalemate your opponent. I managed 5 queens in a speed game. Never had enough extra pawns to try for 6.

I do that too :D ! And I did manage 6 queens one time :D. I'll have to make it a goal to do something like 8 knights next time...

Pawn

Post subject: Re: Queen Sacrafice
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:59 pm 
Steve Lopez wrote:
GeneralsRank wrote:

Why bother? You already have a Queen and two Rooks -- why sac the Queen to "gain" a third Rook? The question makes no sense to me.

It might only make sense if he's looking for some kind of aesthetic checkmate or the position is one of those extremely rare ones where it's prudent to sacrifice the queen (for a rook promotion) in order to avoid stalemate.

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:33 am 
Is it possible to have 9 queens on the board without stalemating or checkmating?

Quote:
It might only make sense if he's looking for some kind of aesthetic checkmate or the position is one of those extremely rare ones where it's prudent to sacrifice the queen (for a rook promotion) in order to avoid stalemate.

It would still be a winning advantage...

User avatar  Offline

Post subject: Only pawns
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:43 pm 
Yeah this is sort of completely opposite the famous game with all of the original pieces, but I once only had my king and seven pawns, my opponent had the same number of pieces but had a rook and a bishop in place of two pawns, and I just pushed two of my pawns and my king, where they were always defended and kept pushing back her bishop and rook until I captured them on her side, got two queens, and checkmated her. That was for my school championship, to see who would go to the regionals, and she said I got lucky, but then I went and won the regionals^^ I just wish I had the notations of the game.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]