The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:51 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject: Good defence to the Birds Opening?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:19 pm 
The Birds is never an opening I’ve taken too seriously – it’s certainly something I’d never play myself, and if its played against me I usually just go for 1…d5 and make sensible developing moves from there. However I’ve had a spate of people playing it in games recently, so I’ve decided its time to do some proper study. I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good book giving defensive lines (note I’m not interested in playing it myself, just beating it :wink: :))

King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:12 pm 
I looked at this book in a chess store, looks very informative, might be exactly what you need.

Obviously it is more geared towards the birds player, just reverse the ideas:)

www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1857444027/ref ... eader-link

Scroll down a bit on this page, Jill wrote a great review on it.

www.amazon.com/Birds-Opening-Detailed-C ... bb_product

Learux

King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:35 am 
Try the From gambit.

However if you play that you have to be ready to face a King's gambit by transposition

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:54 pm 
Thanks all, think ill have a look on Ebay and see if anyones selling that book :)

King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:03 pm 
Learux wrote:
I looked at this book in a chess store, looks very informative, might be exactly what you need.

Obviously it is more geared towards the birds player, just reverse the ideas:)

www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1857444027/ref ... eader-link

Scroll down a bit on this page, Jill wrote a great review on it.

www.amazon.com/Birds-Opening-Detailed-C ... bb_product

Learux

I purchased Bird's Opening by IM Tim Taylor (the book referred to above) a few months ago, and I think it is excellent. He has been playing 1 f4 for over thirty years and has beaten GM's with it.

(BTW, Mr. Taylor kindly autographed my copy of his book at a recent tournament in Los Angeles.)

I have played Bird's Opening many times in blitz and a handful of times in tournament play and I like the opening very much. If Black knows his stuff, he can certainly reach a position with objectively equal chances, but as I have said in other posts about other so-called "second-rate" openings that I play, "objectively equal chances" doesn't necessarily mean "practically equal chances" for my opponent. If I am familiar with and enjoy the types of positions that an opening like the Bird's typcially creates, then I will have a very real advantage over my opponent who is probably in unfamiliar terrain. Just because Rybka or Chessmaster 11 thinks that the position is "=' doesn't necessarily mean that my opponent in fact has a 50-50 chance of beating me. (In assigning probabilites here, I'm assuming that my opponent is the same chess strength as myself.)

Strong players often like to dismiss as dubious gambits like the Smith-Morra (1 e4 c5 2 d4 cd 3 c3 dc 4 Nc3). However, at sub-2300 level, the Smith-Morra is a very powerful weapon in the hands of an able tactician.

The moral of the story is, don't refuse to play an opening just because the GM's think it is dubious.

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:55 pm 
chuckychess wrote:

The moral of the story is, don't refuse to play an opening just because the GM's think it is dubious.

No I'd agree with that - no GM's like the Czech Pirc, but I have had some quite good results with it at club level.

I don't exactly think the Birds is dubious, I just don't like the look of it somehow - and Henry Bird did loose more games with it than he won, which can't be good! :roll: :lol:

User avatar  Offline
Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:25 am 
chuckychess wrote:

Totally. Bird's is wonderful. Many a wonderful game and many a wonderful victory from playing it. As I have said previously here at the Chess Exchange, you should delve into some of Tartakower's theories on this opening.

Post subject: Re: Good defence to the Birds Opening?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:56 pm 
I can recommend Palliser's "Beating unusual chess openings". Although I didn't quite follow his advice against the Bird, he gave me some ideas. The 2 times I got the Bird against me I won :)....

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Rook

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:59 pm 
brigadoon wrote:
I can recommend Palliser's "Beating unusual chess openings". Although I didn't quite follow his advice against the Bird, he gave me some ideas. The 2 times I got the Bird against me I won :)....

Funny enough I just met Palliser the other week :)

That is a good book - I bought it last summer to prepare for someone in our club championship who plays the English.

There’s nothing wrong with 1.f4, IM Timothy Taylor’s book on it is pretty good, he recommends playing a kind of Nimzo-Larsen system against 1…d5 which I’ve used it in correspondence with pretty good results.

Against the From’s gambit 1…e5 I just transpose into a King’s Gambit - Taylor recommends an alternative system but I don’t think it’s as good for White.

It’s a good opening for players without much time to study, because realistically Black is only going to play 1…d5 or e5 (he could try 1…Nc6 or Nf6 but they will just transpose into the lines with 1…d5) so basically you only need the Timothy Taylor book to have a whole repertoire as White.

It’s just a bonus for me that I love the King’s Gambit too :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:28 am 
Yes, the Bird is a very interesting opening. Pity we dont see it often nowdays. I think a reasonable set-up against it is 1.d5 and then c5, gaining space on the queenside but then white can proceed on the kingside and center like in the Dutch.

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:38 am 
I think many of us have probably been tempted to dabble in the Bird Opening at one time or another. As a young boy I recall being told by a more experienced player that the Bird was a 'joke' opening that I should avoid. It's a pity this dismissive and sneering attitude is so prevalent.

Btw - welcome to the forum Yelena! It's good to see you here :D

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]