The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:30 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

King

Post subject: How to beat the King's Indian Attack
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:39 pm 
Someone recently defeated me with it, and I want to know the best strategies to use against it

Knight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:24 am 
What was the move order you can play KIA against alot of things

King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:13 am 
I know, I want to know the best way to counter it as black

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:26 pm 
DarthStapler wrote:
I know, I want to know the best way to counter it as black

It depends on the variation White uses, but I favour a good solid 1...d5 and just make sensible developing moves, you'll soon get equality and maybe even the advantage. I don't really rate the KIA as a proactive enough opening for White - and I can't remember the last time I was beaten playing with White against the KID.

There’s a 1900 rated player by the name of Matt Pullen on YouTube, who makes very informative videos – this one on his modified KID might interest you (there are 4 parts, just click on his profile to see the others – I would check out all his other videos too, the vast majority taught me something new).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBOnMfQi0W8

Knight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:34 pm 
Well my thought is this your opponent can get a KIA out of 1e4 or 1Nf3 and maybe a few other move orders. So are you a Sicilian or French player? (or whatever) Play the Hippopotamus:)

King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:56 pm 
Thanks for the suggestions

King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:05 am 
An aggressive setup that you can play against virtually any White opening except for 1 e4 is the Tarrasch formation. The Tarrasch Defense against the Queen's Gambit goes like this: 1 d4 d5 2 c4 e6 3 Nc3 (or Nf3) c5. Black usually gets active piece play, but is often saddled with an isolated d-pawn.

The Tarrasch formation works fine against the King's Indian Attack: 1 Nf3 d5 2 g3 e6 3 Bg2 c5 4 O-O Nc6 5 d3 Nf6 6 Nbd2 e5(!). Black has a space advantage and won't have any problem castling into safety and putting his bishops on good squares. White has achieved his goal of surviving the opening and is ready to try to outplay Black in the middlegame.

The King's Indian Attack is attractive to those who agree with GM Lajois Portisch's idea that the purpose of the opening is to "get a playable middlegame."

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]