The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:41 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: The English Opening
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:55 am 
I decided to stop playing 1 e4 and start playing the English because it's a positional opening with little theory to learn.

Against 1...e5 I will play the Advanced Fianchetto (2 g3, 3 Bg2 with Nc3 to follow).

Against 1...c5 I will play the Anti-Benoni (2 Nf3 and 3 d4).

What should I play against 1...Nf6/1...e6? This usually suggests Black wants to play an Indian.

I know "The Dynamic English" is a great chess book, but it is difficult to get a chess book here.

Maybe someone can explain (or link to a website that explain) the most important plans for both sides in the English? I know for the Advanced Fianchetto White will try to control d5 and land a Knight there, and start a Queenside attack with b4 and Rb1.

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: The English Opening
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:01 pm 
wahlau wrote:
I decided to stop playing 1 e4 and start playing the English because it's a positional opening with little theory to learn.

Against 1...e5 I will play the Advanced Fianchetto (2 g3, 3 Bg2 with Nc3 to follow).

Against 1...c5 I will play the Anti-Benoni (2 Nf3 and 3 d4).

What should I play against 1...Nf6/1...e6? This usually suggests Black wants to play an Indian.

I know "The Dynamic English" is a great chess book, but it is difficult to get a chess book here.

Maybe someone can explain (or link to a website that explain) the most important plans for both sides in the English? I know for the Advanced Fianchetto White will try to control d5 and land a Knight there, and start a Queenside attack with b4 and Rb1.

It's not as detailed as a book, but gives some outlines on plans: Chessops.
The link takes you to the "group" page.

The site has a lot to offer if you didn't know it already :toohot:

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:15 pm 
You could also get hold of a copy of ‘The Dynamic English’ by Tony Kosten, which gives a little spin on established theory by playing a quick 2. g3 - mind you, the book is so popular now that the new variation carries little shock value, but it still produces a very solid position. I often play it in CC games (not so much in OTB as I find some of the middle game ideas very hard to memorise).

I never play the old English anymore - it usually leads to a sort of passive four Knights game, which just encourages a draw.

King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:10 am 
I own "The Dynamic English" by Kosten and "The Dynamic Reti" by Davies. You can put together a pretty good White repertoire by combining the ideas of both books. I've had pretty good success with the Reti in blitz chess.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]