The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:57 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Knight

Post subject: Orangutang opening
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:12 am 
Recently, some of my opponents have started playing the Orangutang (Polish) opening with me ie. 1. b4

Have any one of you played this before? What's been your experience? I searched around a bit for this and saw to my surprise that even Karpov lost to his opponent who played 1. b4

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: Orangutang opening
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:10 pm 
smtalim wrote:
Recently, some of my opponents have started playing the Orangutang (Polish) opening with me ie. 1. b4

Have any one of you played this before? What's been your experience? I searched around a bit for this and saw to my surprise that even Karpov lost to his opponent who played 1. b4

The Sokolsky is primarily an opening for correspondence chess. In OTB it's a surprise weapon, and as with all surprises, after the first time the surprise is gone. By simply developing your center as black you'll get at least an equal position.

Just last week quite a stronger opponent at the chess club tried it out on me, but I was able to hold a draw quite easily, actually having a little advantage during the whole game.

If you're interested in the Sokolsky, and didn't find it yet, there's a website dedicated to it, including a database with (amateur) games:

http://www.angelfire.com/home/bstjean/sokolsky/

Knight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:38 am 
Thanks for the link.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:14 pm 
Hi Satish. I play the polish 1.) b4 in blitz sometimes, but I haven't had a great deal of luck with it. 1.)...e5 is a good reply by black followed by ...d6 supporting. It is said that if karpov had a weakness, it was for off beat openings. A famous game he lost this way was to Miles (black).
Karpov opened 1.)e4 to which Miles replied....a6!? Mils won in 46 moves. The defence ..a6 was knighted the st george.

Regards,

Mrejones.

Profile E-mail  

Knight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:21 am 
That's an interesting bit of information, Mrejones. Thanks.
mrejones wrote:
Hi Satish. I play the polish 1.) b4 in blitz sometimes, but I haven't had a great deal of luck with it. 1.)...e5 is a good reply by black followed by ...d6 supporting. It is said that if karpov had a weakness, it was for off beat openings. A famous game he lost this way was to Miles (black).
Karpov opened 1.)e4 to which Miles replied....a6!? Mils won in 46 moves. The defence ..a6 was knighted the st george.

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:25 pm 
Hi Satish!

After 1.b4, the most sensible way to continue is with 1...e5, followed by 2...Bxb4 if White plays 2.Bxe5. However, 1...e6 and 1...a5 are also good moves at Black's disposal. Also, 1.b4 d5!? 2.Bb2 f6!? followed by 3...e5 is also an interesting continuation. In the previous variation (1...d5 & 2...f6) the king's knight is best developed at h6, so that if White checks with Qh5+ Black safely reply with ...Nf7.

(PS: Wish you a very prosperous Diwali! :D )

User avatar  Offline
Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:38 pm 
Yeah, your best response is 1.b4 2.e5 3.Bb2 Bxb4 4.Bxe5 Nf6 5.Nc3. Black shouldn't take because 4...Ba5 his Bishop is on a great square.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]