The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:27 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Rook

Post subject: Correct pronunciation of 'Alekhine' and Tarrasch?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:32 am 
Can anyone tell me how 'Alekhine' is pronounced in Russian? And is Tarrasch pronounced /tarrASH/ ?

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: Correct pronunciation of 'Alekhine' and Tarrasch?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:14 pm 
Alastair_Allan wrote:
Can anyone tell me how 'Alekhine' is pronounced in Russian? And is Tarrasch pronounced /tarrASH/ ?

As far as I know Alekhine is pronounced Al-YAY-gheen with gh indicating a guttural g and Al between "Al" and "All". I suspect that in Russia they would pronounce it AL-yay-gheen, but not being the native speaker this is a bit of a guess. He lived in Paris for a long time, which might have affected the pronunciation.

Tarrasch AFAIK is pronounce TAR-rash with the second "a" pronounced the same as the first. The sch is a bit like the ch in choo(choo) :)

User avatar  Offline
King

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:34 am 
A copy from Wiki on Alekhine says:

^ When he became a French citizen, "Alekhine" became the correct way to spell his name in the Latin alphabet. He became angry when Russians sometimes pronounced it "Al-YOH-khin"[a?l^(j)?xin], which he regarded as a Yiddish distortion of his name, and insisted that the correct Russian pronunciation was "Al-YEH-khin". See Kmoch, H.. "Grandmasters I Have Known: Alexander Alexandrovich Alekhine".

I guess the forms Aljechin,Aljehin and Alehin used in some European countries amounts to the same thing.

User avatar  Offline
Rook

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:21 am 
'mrmip' is correct. I heard a 1930's 6 minute radio interview of Alekhine, in English. The interviewer pronounced it:
"al YEKK inn" (yes with a 'Y' sound; and he called him "Doctor Alekhine").

BTWay, Alekhine told the interviewer that only people born with certain innate skills have a chance to become World Chess Champion.

I have never heard Capablanca's voice nor that of any earlier WCChamp. I have never heard Botvinnik's voice, though there must be plenty of recordings of him, because his died in 1995. I have never heard Smyslov, nor Petrosian.

Rook

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:32 am 
Gene_M wrote:
'mrmip' is correct. I heard a 1930's 6 minute radio interview of Alekhine, in English. The interviewer pronounced it:
"al YEKK inn" (yes with a 'Y' sound; and he called him "Doctor Alekhine").

BTWay, Alekhine told the interviewer that only people born with certain innate skills have a chance to become World Chess Champion.

I have never heard Capablanca's voice nor that of any earlier WCChamp. I have never heard Botvinnik's voice, though there must be plenty of recordings of him, because his died in 1995. I have never heard Smyslov, nor Petrosian.

Thanks to all who helped with my query about pronounciation. I would go along with the BBC 1930's announcer's version, which I had heard but
had forgotten about, because in those days they were sticklers for accuracy in prounouncing names, and had an officer dedicated to checking that
kind of thing.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]