The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:56 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Pawn

Post subject: how to read ebooks easily on my pocket pc?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:00 pm 
hi,

i have a bunch of ebooks on my pc that i transferred to my pocket pc but i have to scroll like crazy to read it which is not conducive to reading at all. is there a way to make it fit the screen without having to scroll horizontally.

i have tried various ebooks reader like u book, mobipocket, ereader that says they reformat it to fit the pocket pc screen but none of them works. then i tried loads of converters to convert to word or rtf but some don't show up properly or it's like 10-20 times bigger than the pdf file. i'm running out of ideas here. is there anything i can use to make my pdf files more readable in my pocket pc? thank you.

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: how to read ebooks easily on my pocket pc?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:10 pm 
g23 wrote:
hi,

i have a bunch of ebooks on my pc that i transferred to my pocket pc but i have to scroll like crazy to read it which is not conducive to reading at all. is there a way to make it fit the screen without having to scroll horizontally.

i have tried various ebooks reader like u book, mobipocket, ereader that says they reformat it to fit the pocket pc screen but none of them works. then i tried loads of converters to convert to word or rtf but some don't show up properly or it's like 10-20 times bigger than the pdf file. i'm running out of ideas here. is there anything i can use to make my pdf files more readable in my pocket pc? thank you.

If you are working with PDF-files Adone uses reflow for that if possible.
You have to transfer them to the Pocket PC with ActiveSync and the File Explorer in ActiveSync.
In that case (and with Adobe Reader for your Pocket PC (v.2.0) installed properly) the converter will try to reflow before copying. This can be a time consuming process! And not every time it will work.

So:

If you don't have it installed, install Adobe Reader for Pocket PC on your iPAQ through ActiveSync. (see link below)

After installing, keep your iPAQ connected with ActiveSync;

Open the ActiveSync Window.

Go to (I think) Options > Explore Pocket PC (Because I have a Dutch installation, it might be called differently)

Open a normal windows explorer window in the directory of your PDF-files

Two windows will be open now: the Windows Explorer window and your ActiveSync Explorer window (that window is callled "Mobile Device").

Drag the file with your mouse from the PDF-directory to the AS window

Now AS will try to convert (reflow) your PDF file and copy it aftwerwards..

If all goes well, you can read your books in reflow mode. Good luck.

ps. http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/r ... obile.html
will provide you with Adobe Reader for Pocket PC. Use this download:
http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/r ... pc_enu.exe

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:50 am 
hi,

tried that. it works with very simple docs like ebooks with no pictures but didn't work for most of my chess books. someone mentioned converting pdf to html? but then again the images are gone unless i'm not doing it right?

i'm finding out that this pdf formt is not very easy to convert properly for viewing on a pocket pc unles it's a very very basic document. i'm trying out acrobat pro and iceni gemini at the moment but a lot of good that's doing as the demo version says images are not displayed properly so how am i meant to see if it's doing the job !

repligo viewer which is a much cheaper alternative managed to convert more than acrobat reader 2 but by only a couple more files. i guess these chess ebooks i've collected must be in a very difficult form; images columns and who knows what else.

if anything else pops up in your mind do give me a holler :D

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]