The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:27 am 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Pawn

Post subject: i can't get ce board to work?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:34 pm 
hi again,

sorry for all the questions but how in the world do i get ce board to work?
here's what i've done. i went to this place

http://www.zanchetta.net/CEBoard/ and downloaded ce board 2 with correct support of wm6 which is my operating system

then i downloaded crafty 2004 and fruit 2.31. all of them installed fine but when i clicked on the ce board icon the chess board show up but when i click to move, black doesn't move. so how do i get it to play chess with me? has tis got something to do with ce board integration package?

also, one reason i got this was that someone mentioned you can transfer your chess database or opening books into pocket pc using ce board. can some one also tell me how to do this or point me in the right direction. thank you onc again for all your help

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: i can't get ce board to work?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:41 pm 
g23 wrote:
hi again,

sorry for all the questions but how in the world do i get ce board to work?
here's what i've done. i went to this place

http://www.zanchetta.net/CEBoard/ and downloaded ce board 2 with correct support of wm6 which is my operating system

then i downloaded crafty 2004 and fruit 2.31. all of them installed fine but when i clicked on the ce board icon the chess board show up but when i click to move, black doesn't move. so how do i get it to play chess with me? has tis got something to do with ce board integration package?

also, one reason i got this was that someone mentioned you can transfer your chess database or opening books into pocket pc using ce board. can some one also tell me how to do this or point me in the right direction. thank you onc again for all your help

If you installed correctly you should tap on the processor symbol to start an engine game. Otherwise you'll just use the database.

Depending on the medium where you put your databases on (card or internal memory) you need to use either a cardreader from your PC or laptop or the explorer via activesync to transfer files to your Pocket PC. When connected to your PC, opening the windows explorer you'll notice a "my mobile device" icon. Clicking on it will show the contents of your Pocket PC.

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:24 am 
i don't see any processor symbol but i manged to open crafty from within ce board and then an error came up and now i can only access the crafty engine and not fruit. i think i'll just reinstall everything. do you find that you have a lot of problems with active sync connection with your ipaq 214?

the first couple of days it connected fine as long as it's a first connect but the minute i unplugged my ipaq i'm usually unable to connect again with pc unless i restarted pc. now i can't connect at all. looks like it's trouble shooting day again. :( :(

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:13 pm 
g23 wrote:
i don't see any processor symbol but i manged to open crafty from within ce board and then an error came up and now i can only access the crafty engine and not fruit. i think i'll just reinstall everything. do you find that you have a lot of problems with active sync connection with your ipaq 214?

the first couple of days it connected fine as long as it's a first connect but the minute i unplugged my ipaq i'm usually unable to connect again with pc unless i restarted pc. now i can't connect at all. looks like it's trouble shooting day again. :( :(

Getting freeware to work can be excruciating, but that's the risk. You often need some understanding of what you're doing, and experience with out-of-the-book installation procedures. Don't get discouraged. No computer ever was for the faint of heart.

If you already installed CEBOard and Pocket Crafty, uninstalling will leave some registry values. If you're going to reinstall in the same locations, that's no problem. If not, you have to use a registry editor to get things right again.

First I copied the cabinet file of CEBoard to my Pocket PC. I put them on a card. I use a 16GB SDHC card so I won't run out of space, and I can keep all programs on my Pocket PC in backup on that card.

First remove CEBoard, and the engines with the settings > system > remove programs.

You have to remove both the engines and CEBoard. Do a soft reset after that to be sure.

Now _first_ reinstall CEBoard. After that, install each engine.

(I simply tapped the cab-files: first CEBoard. Then I followed with the other cabinet files (Toga, Fruit and CraftyClassic) as you can download them from the site)

This is the directory with CEBoard on my Pocket PC. This is how it should look.
Two exceptions: the TB directory contains my tablebases. The CraftyBooks directory contains my Crafty Book (separate download) Don't bother if you don't have them. You can always add them later.

You can see the three separate directories where the installations put the files.

This is the view of the directory structure. As you can see I installed CEBoard on my SD Card, but that doesn't matter. It's the relative location that's important. This is how it should look.

This is what happens after you start CEBoard. The third icon on the bottom from the left is the processor symbol. If it's there, all works well.
Click on it to start an engine game.

If you do that, this will pop up. Choose the engine of your liking,

...set the various parameters...

...and off you go.

Let me know where it goes wrong - or not.

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:12 pm 
hi jeroen,

thank you so very much for the picture illustration. it really makes it easy to understand. i've finally installed it properly using your pictures and explanation! and i even know what i was doing wrong in the begining. instead of clicking on the pocessor icon to open crafty i went digging around the yellow folder called engines to no avail of course. silly me!

and finally got the ipaq to sync with pc by turning firewall, avg and spybot off. thank god for the hubby and helpful people from the forums like you or i would have thrown the ipaq out the window! no wonder most everyone hates microsoft. now i can finally play a game of chess on the ipaq!" :D

thank you once again for taking the time out to help me :)

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:47 am 
g23 wrote:
hi jeroen,

thank you so very much for the picture illustration. it really makes it easy to understand. i've finally installed it properly using your pictures and explanation! and i even know what i was doing wrong in the begining. instead of clicking on the pocessor icon to open crafty i went digging around the yellow folder called engines to no avail of course. silly me!

and finally got the ipaq to sync with pc by turning firewall, avg and spybot off. thank god for the hubby and helpful people from the forums like you or i would have thrown the ipaq out the window! no wonder most everyone hates microsoft. now i can finally play a game of chess on the ipaq!" :D

thank you once again for taking the time out to help me :)

Glad it all works, finally. However, you shouldn't have to disable your firewall, virus scanner or Spybot to connect to your desktop.
I run Spybot myself and have no problems, same for the virus scanner which does nothing but checking files against a database.
I guess the firewall is the culprit. Depending on your firewall you could check out

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/ ... c-usb.mspx

to see if there's a simple solution to your problem. If your firewall is rule based simply add the three or four ActiveSync files to your rules as allowed, if it's port based, you could open the ports ActiveSync uses. Hope this helps.

Don't compromise your security for the stoopid Microsoft software.... :twisted:

(ps. and edit: many people use a version of ZoneAlarm as a firewall. If that's the case with you, the instructions will show you which files to check if they're allowed. But also remember that ActiveSync and Windows hand out an IP-address to your device. This IP-address uses a private IP-range (i.e. used in Intranet etc.), mostly in the 169.x.x.x range. In the setting for firewall > zones this must show up as a trusted zone.)

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:23 am 
hi again,

my firewall sometimes allows me to active sync and sometimmes it doesn't. i have absolutely no idea what causes active syns not to work but ever since i disable all 3, firewall, spybot and avg i've not had a single problem. a bit of a pain but so much better than wasting more time i've already wasted trying to figure it out. it could be endless.... from what i've read in the forums. :D :D
just have to remember to enable them again when i go online.

:)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]