The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:11 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Pawn

Post subject: nightmare installation!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:21 pm 
hi everyone,

just received my ipaq 114 and spent all afternoon trying to get it to connect to the pc. now pocketgrandmaster and chess mentor both doesn't seem to work.

chess mentor says it's not a valid pocket pc application

pocketgrandmaster say "couldn't load error 126

my husband has given up on the ipaq and i have absolutely no clue how to get it working. any help is most appreciated as we're both clueless and don't even know how we actuallly got the software into the pocket pc to begin with. thank you.

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:51 pm 
xxxxx

Last edited by g23 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:48 pm 
it's still not working. we have read two separate software instalation guide now and nothing seems to work. please help :(

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: nightmare installation!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:05 pm 
g23 wrote:
hi everyone,

just received my ipaq 114 and spent all afternoon trying to get it to connect to the pc. now pocketgrandmaster and chess mentor both doesn't seem to work.

chess mentor says it's not a valid pocket pc application

pocketgrandmaster say "couldn't load error 126

my husband has given up on the ipaq and i have absolutely no clue how to get it working. any help is most appreciated as we're both clueless and don't even know how we actuallly got the software into the pocket pc to begin with. thank you.

Depending on what OS you run (Windows XP or Vista) most software for the Pocket PC require ActiveSync (XP) or Mobile Device Center (Vista) to install on your Pocket PC. To be sure you took the right way I repeat the steps below.

Install ActiveSync or Mobile Device Center to your laptop or desktop. If that is done, connect your Pocket PC with the accompanying USB-cable to your PC.

Windows will start a wizard creating a "partnership". Basically it tells both with which device they're communicating.

After completing the wizard, start the installation file of the programs on your desktop, not on your pocket pc. It will transfer the necessary files to your pocket pc and start the installation procedure there. Follow instructions on the Pocket PC screen. Choose a destination (if you have more options, like a SD-card or CF-card or iPAQ File Store).

After successful installation, you can find a shortcut in the programs or games folder.

Basically a cabinet-file (ending in .cab) is being transfered to your pocket pc. This cabinet file can be copied directly to your pocket PC or a storage card. If you tap the cabinet file, it will start the installation you saw with ActiveSync or Mobile Device manager.

Let me know if this is of any help.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/ ... enter.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/ ... ync45.mspx

Error 126 usually points to some missing dll's (dynamic link libraries) on your PC or laptop. It shouldn't be Pocket PC related.

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:51 pm 
hi jeroen,

thank you for your help again, we finally figured out what was wrong. i think those 3 chess programs i downloaded must not be for the right operating system or somethiing cos i went to pocketgrandmaster to download demo and it worked.

this pda business is not as simple as i thought it was going to be. it's taken all day just to download a game probably cos i'm not very technically savy. oh well slowly but surely. :)

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:49 pm 
g23 wrote:
hi jeroen,

thank you for your help again, we finally figured out what was wrong. i think those 3 chess programs i downloaded must not be for the right operating system or somethiing cos i went to pocketgrandmaster to download demo and it worked.

this pda business is not as simple as i thought it was going to be. it's taken all day just to download a game probably cos i'm not very technically savy. oh well slowly but surely. :)

It's indeed worth mentioning that generally there are three versions of cabinet files floating around, one for mips processors, one for SH3 and one for arm/strongarm.

Installers take care of the correct version for you. If you have to install the cabinet files manually, always choose the arm-version (mostly it's in the name of the file, say xxxxxxx_arm.cab).

And of course, Palm programs, JAVA applications and PC programs don't work on Pocket PC. (Javascript and Flash is supported, although you have to install Flash yourself)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]