The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:23 am 






This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

  Print view

Author Message
 Offline
Pawn
 
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:15 pm
Posts: 17
 Post subject: pda buying advice?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:21 pm 
hi evryone,

would really appreciate some advice on what kind of pda to buy, pocket pc or palm pilot. from what i've gathered there appears to be more software for the pocket pc. is that correct? also it would be nice to be able to connect to the web to play online although if this is too expensive i shan't bother. my budget is around £100. any recommendation as i have no idea what i'm looking for . thanks for your input.


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
 
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:42 am
Posts: 1430
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
 Post subject: Re: pda buying advice?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:09 pm 
g23 wrote:
hi evryone,

would really appreciate some advice on what kind of pda to buy, pocket pc or palm pilot. from what i've gathered there appears to be more software for the pocket pc. is that correct? also it would be nice to be able to connect to the web to play online although if this is too expensive i shan't bother. my budget is around £100. any recommendation as i have no idea what i'm looking for . thanks for your input.


If you're looking for strong chess programs. both Palm and Pocket PC do have options, although there are more available for Pocket PC, like Pocket Fritz, Pocket Grandmaster and a whole bunch of freeware options like Fruit of Crafty with CE Board as interface.

For Palm there's Hiarcs, which is very strong, and a Palm Tungsten comes at around £100, but no WiFi.

Pocket PC's with wifi are around, but a HP iPAQ 110 series will come at something like £130-140.
I have a 214 and it's almost a complete computer that fits in the palm of your hand. If you're into using a PPC for a lot of things, I would go for the extra cash of an iPAQ or the like. £100 is a tight budget, but shop around and you might find it a bit cheaper somewhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Pawn
 
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:15 pm
Posts: 17
 Post subject: hi jeroen
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:16 am 
hi jeroen

thank you for the advice. i had originally wanted a pocket pc but didn't realize most of them were over £200 so started shopping around for a palm instead. then i chanced upon an ipaq 114 on special offer for £128 and with a £20 cashback from hp, which would make it well within my budget. i was so chuffed i bought it immediately and forgot to check if the chess programs i wanted would work on windows mobile 6. i assume it would since it's the latest os if not i can always return it. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
 
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:42 am
Posts: 1430
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
 Post subject: Re: hi jeroen
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:11 pm 
g23 wrote:
hi jeroen

thank you for the advice. i had originally wanted a pocket pc but didn't realize most of them were over £200 so started shopping around for a palm instead. then i chanced upon an ipaq 114 on special offer for £128 and with a £20 cashback from hp, which would make it well within my budget. i was so chuffed i bought it immediately and forgot to check if the chess programs i wanted would work on windows mobile 6. i assume it would since it's the latest os if not i can always return it. :D


That's very true, but only for a handful of pocket pc programs. For me only Pocket Chess Partner (developed for WM2003) doesn't work under WM6, but the rest does. And what works under WM5 will work under WM6 in any case.

If you want a quick and free chess game, download CE Board, Pocket Crafty, Fruit and Toga, and if you have a storage card 3-4 man tablebases and start playing chess.


http://www.zanchetta.net/CEBoard/
On this page you'll find all downloads, download links and instructions.

If you want to add a few tablebases for Pocket Crafty and instructions how to, let us know and we'll provide the details.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Pawn
 
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:15 pm
Posts: 17
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:42 pm 
the two main chess program i wanted ;pocket grandmaster and ct-art is compatible with wm6 so hurray.

cool, thanks for the link to the frebies. i will definitely check it out!


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
 
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:42 am
Posts: 1430
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:47 pm 
g23 wrote:
the two main chess program i wanted ;pocket grandmaster and ct-art is compatible with wm6 so hurray.

cool, thanks for the link to the frebies. i will definitely check it out!


If you didn't know, and are interested of course, I have a review of Pocket CT Art here:

http://chessexchange.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2139


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Pawn
 
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:15 pm
Posts: 17
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:58 pm 
hi jeroen,

thank you for the link to the ce board chess software. that will come in handy


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 193 on Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:40 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests





cron

ChessCentral - The Leader in Cutting-Edge Chess * Buy Fritz 12 * Buy Rybka 4 * Buy Fritz Powerbook DVD


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

Style based on Andreas08 by Andreas Viklund and created by Elizabeth Shulman, Stop Animal Rights, Dog Training by corgipower