The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:54 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Are the Nook HD/HD+ the new "best buys" for handheld chess?
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:35 pm 
This weekend has seen two major developments regarding the 7 inch Nook HD and 9 inch Nook HD+. On Friday (May 3rd) Barnes and Noble announced a major software update giving these units full Android application compatibility. You can now download and run over 700,000+ programs from the Google Play Store on an updated Nook HD/HD+. Thus these tablets now have access to a huge library of chess programs!

But wait, the news gets even better! Today I see where the Nook HD is on sale at $149 (a $50 price drop) while the Nook HD+ sees a $90 price reduction to $179. Prices are listed as good thru Mother's Day. (Let's hope Barnes and Noble makes these price reductions permanent!)

I updated my wife's Nook HD yesterday and, in addition to Android application compatibility, there are numerous other improvements such as a much better browser (Chrome) rather than the poor proprietary browser that was provided before.

I love my iPad but I'm beginning to think that the best "value buys" in tablets right now are some of the Android offerings. With the Nook HD and HD+ having retina screens, great prices, and Android app compatibility, are these the current best buys?
http://kantack.com/chess

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: New Sale Prices for Father's Day for Nook HD and Nook HD+
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:13 pm 
The 7 inch Nook HD now at only $129 thru Father's Day.

The 9 inch Nook HD+ is down to only $149 during this same week. (That's $120 off the regular price!)

I've downloaded some free chess programs to my wife's Nook HD from the Google Play Store. It runs them just fine. The selection of chess software available from the Google Play Store is comparable to Apple's app store.

I love my iPad and the chess apps on it, but dollar for dollar, the Nooks are a better buy. More details at my website: http://kantack.com/chess

Profile E-mail  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]