The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:18 am 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Capture Play: New site looking for Beta Testers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:37 am 
Hello,

We are working on a new skill-gaming site called Capture Play. We feature games where the main goal is to capture pieces or characters from your opponent, like Chess. The twist is, every piece is worth money! So when you capture that pesky rook, it doesn't just give you good position, it's actually money in your pocket.

Right now we are looking for people to help Beta Test the site -- when the site goes live, it will be using real money transactions, but during beta testing you can play for free and see what the site is all about.

Come check it out! www.captureplay.com

-Graham

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline

Post subject: Re: Capture Play: New site looking for Beta Testers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:18 pm 
Personally, I don't think that playing chess for money online will ever catch on, not least because of the very real possibility of cheating. I say this now, so that I can be quoted by smug commentators in years to come when I'm proved wrong! :lol:

Nevertheless, good luck with your venture!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:39 pm 
Thanks Son o' Pearl,
Totally valid point regarding cheating - it's not impossible (though not trivial) to build an uncheatable chess game in the sense that every move is validated and guaranteed to be correct according to the rules of chess. Naturally, we have already accomplished that. The difficult problem is botting - playing with a chess engine while playing against your opponents. We take do measures to combat this, and we're continually improving them to keep ahead of malicious users. We also include social mechanisms (such as player ratings and reporting) to keep cheaters out.
Keep in mind that at this time we are mainly testing out our core gaming dynamic which is to tie value to the pieces being played with - that's the capture, purchase, sell aspect. In this sense we are certainly not a typical skill gaming site. In fact many options are available under this dynamic to make gaming more compelling. Regarding Chess, different formations and Crazy/Bug House rules come to mind as natural candidates. We will be offering these gaming variations and more. As we venture into the hinterlands of nonstandard game play on standard games such as Chess, botting will also become less of a problem as effective botting mechanisms simply will not exist yet. That's not to say they ultimately won't though :)
At any rate thanks for the input and thanks to everyone who have come to try us out so far. As an aside, chess players may also be interested in another game we are testing, called Mancala. Mancala is an ancient game with very simple rules (only three), but has stunningly deep game play that exercises the Chess cortex.
In the end, we are looking forward to seeing you proven wrong SOP! ;)

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Pawn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:36 pm 
Very interesting concept, how do you handle different playing skills, For example I will probably get killed in a chess game against people that are serious about making money at this, but I might be willing to try it if I can play against people with my skill level.

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:22 am 
Sounds like a nifty concept, but what can you do with the money you accumulate? It's not like online gambling is it? ;)

Profile E-mail  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]