The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:56 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Pawn

Post subject: Good chess sites
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:34 am 
Two sites I'd have to suggest are http://www.zone.com or http://www.instantchess.com.

Instantchess.com is free for the first 64 games, but really good. Zone.com is free and is a fun place to play.

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:08 pm 
Hi,

I love the zone. Nice interface, easy to find an opponent.

Take a look at ladder play there. I don't belong to a chess ladder but I do belong to a team in the spades ladder and it is a blast!

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:52 am 
I just signed up a played a few games at the Zone and found the players are much weaker than at FICS. I easily beat 1600 to 1800 players and I am rated 1310 at FICS. I am guessing that they are not as serious at the Zone.
Not to belittle anyone, just an observation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:51 pm 
Yes I have found that FICS is one of the best sites on the internet to join goto www.freechess.org and click on register

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:52 am 
the zone is nice because its chatty and very active, however cheating is very ramant there as with any downloadable software clients its zclient.dll..etc is hacked and people make progs for them especially in the rankings rooms, some use engines while others use program that can take control of the board and enable one to move the apponents peices, some use time cheats or programs like blizzard that link an engine to the board so it moves automatically for those 1 min games and many times its hard to know if u got cheated or just played a very good player thats why i dont like it..ive noticed similar exploits in playchess software, yahoo's chess( saw a 9999 rank there once) chessmaster and various other downloadable client software mainly

pogo.com is very nice free site..it has alot more features, even a verbal saying if ur in check or mated...cheating seems rather uncommon and only left to engine users...its very active but not very chatty..no one talks there much but many to play..worth checking out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:41 pm 
and http://gameknot.com is a really good site, lovely looking and easy to find games. You get lots of performance analysis there too, and you can play for free or pay a small premium for ad-free service

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:56 pm 
Hi, there :)

there are so many different chess playing servers on the net, that counting them will take much time and place. I'll mention just few of them which are free.

www.ajedrez21.com Free, Spanish located chess site. You can play via Java enabled browser. English version, I think, on www.chess21.com

www.chessanytime.com Have played there few times. Also no download required via Java enabled browser

www.chessplanet.ru Convekta's chess playing server. Download required. It has English version, though if you have Windows 98/Me you may suffer some bugs + text in console are mainly in russian.

www.ptchess.com Portugal chess server. Download required. Users with Windows 98/Me will suffer from severe bugs. Unfortunately :(

www.blitzchessclub.com has recently opened its playing zone. Nice software (babaschess), great features and events to come.

So, you see that there are plenty of interesting and innovative chess playing servers on the net and they are FREE :D

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:30 pm 
ICC is mainly used by serious players (most International Masters and Grandmasters play there) and it's very fast compared to other java based on-line sites. http://www.chessclub.com

I've just visited the zone, run by microsoft, and was very, very disappointed: slow to load, you must download one of those gadgets, and so on)

ajedrez21's software is painfully underdeveloped: you can't even choose the level of your opponent's.

User avatar  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:19 pm 
Scrooloose wrote:
I just signed up a played a few games at the Zone and found the players are much weaker than at FICS. I easily beat 1600 to 1800 players and I am rated 1310 at FICS. I am guessing that they are not as serious at the Zone.
Not to belittle anyone, just an observation.

If you wish to get kicked then try ICC [www.chessclub.com].

User avatar  Offline
Rook

Post subject: Pogo
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:25 pm 
I play at Pogo a lot, infact the only online chess site I play at, there are many rooms to fit your needs and level of strenght, and there is a lot of hard competition there, many however, play 1 minute games there because of Programs that play 3 minutes or higher. If you want a chatty room I recommend under Advanced A Clock Work Orange, Pogo is a very nice site to play chess at.

User avatar  Offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:23 pm 
hi
i just found some interesting chess sites, just have a look at them:
www.schach.de =www.chessbase.com (the german and the english version)
www.gmchess.com
www.fide.com (everyone knows it :) )
www.chess21.com

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:19 pm 
I've played online at ICC since 1999, and chess.net prior to that. After more than five years I've let my ICC membership lapse because the ChessBase server meets all my needs for less money.

I still play at US Chess Live regularly, and have started playing at FICS.

I offer reviews of a number of sites at http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/wulebgr/reviews.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:30 am 
Wulebgr wrote:
I've played online at ICC since 1999, and chess.net prior to that. After more than five years I've let my ICC membership lapse because the ChessBase server meets all my needs for less money.

I still play at US Chess Live regularly, and have started playing at FICS.

I offer reviews of a number of sites at http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/wulebgr/reviews.htm

I tried the playchess.com server, but haven't been able to find a single game over 10 minutes long. I hate paying for the ICC, but it seems to be the best place to find a real game.

John

Pawn

Post subject: Playchess.com
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:48 pm 
I used to play mainly at FICS (over 1000 games). However, the numbers are not quite high enough to quickly get a game of the time control/rating you want without a bit of a wait in some instances. I rarely see more then 400 on FICS. It sounds like that should be plenty, but it isn't - if I want a game at above 5 min, I sometimes need to wait a bit. Not a lot, but its still annoying. Competition is particularly brutal on FICS at speedchess - I've never been more then 1412 blitz, and I was once 1913 USCF w/ OTB.

I was a member of ICC in the past, but now am using Playchess (i.e. chessbase server). They say ICC has the highest membership, and I haven't been on enough lately to report back, but the numbers don't seem nearly as impressive as I would have expected from the leader from a couple quick looks as a guest. And of course it costs money.

Playchess is free for a year if you get a chessbase program -- which most serious players will obviously do anyway. The thing to understand about Playchess is that it has well over 60% of its players outside the US (Europe and Western Europe in particular). Lag does not seem to be a problem (I've had only one game where it was) but the timing of when people are on is impacted. At 9-11 EST at night when I like to play a few games, the numbers are 4-500 players. Not great. HOWEVER, I also like a quick game in the mornings, 7-8 est. There are perhaps 1200 players on - plenty. Weekends are excellent all day 1400-2000 players. There is also more competition in the lower levels on Playchess for whatever reason - my speed rating has been 1500-1650 - and I think 1600 or so is where the most players are. By contrast, I am a bottom dweller on FICS, which makes it harder to get games. (NOT a statistical aberration - I have 1000+ games on FICS and 125+ on Playchess).

Another thing to understand about Playchess is that the chess doesn't go with socializing. 8/10 times you say "hi" it goes ignored. Not that many people talk on FICS during games either, but there is a bit of it.

Playchess also does not support bughouse.

Bottom line - Playchess is a great place to play if you want to get one of the Chessbase programs anyway with the free 1 yr membership. I would NOT pay for membership.

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject: Re: Playchess.com
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:33 pm 
Spongebob666 wrote:
Playchess also does not support bughouse.

Reason enough to play there!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next