The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:14 am 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar  Offline
Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:46 am 
peters4n6 wrote:
It's been about a year since I posted this topic and my opinion has not changed. Babaschess remains the king, and is up to version 4.0

I've tried Dasher on ICC and it's better than Blitzin, but still is nowhere near as robust as Babaschess. Maybe it's what one gets used to first that defines one's favorite client. Anyway, my 2 cents.

eric

ICC doesn't seem to be very motivated to improve (checking "help new-features" shows that the last "improvement" was last August). Not many suggestions seem to get acted on. No user forum either. It irks me to have a service provider so uninterested in improving.

OTOH Blitzin meets my needs pretty well, although yes I'd like to see something as good as Babaschess. Jin is an interesting (Java) product altho IIRC ICC may have co-opted them; I haven't checked Jin out in a while.

Post subject: Re: FICS...ICC...playchess...playing clients
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:18 pm 
I feel related to some if the issues posted. But i have a slightly different take , i also have my favorite board namely Arena but i find that to live very much in the subjective realm. Deciding sizes of pieces or colour structure or having extremely complex functions to the point where the user has to "bathe" themselves in knowledge in order to play chess is nice but not essential. I also think that been able to watch or talk to super Gms might be inspiring but at the end of the day its an added good so to speak.

I am yet to find one board that can:

Log to any desired site payble or not payble(if indeed payble is a word).
A board that does not allow for engine loading (Or a site for that matter that has come up with a way to stop engines from pretending to be human)
A board that can accept pgn, abk and lets face it just about any format so that if you have an interesting line you want to play you can repeat it as many times as you want.
A board that does not accept it pre-moving as much as it might be fun to see the pieces going at 10000000 miles per second it does not favour chess whatsoever. "The art of pushing " does not have to be part of the synapsis of chess.I am very aware that by expressing my desires i have opened myself for endless arguments with those of you that think they are technically minded and as soon as you finish reading this post you will venture an answer trying to show me that i am mistaken.
Please dont !!!!
If however you do know of a board that can do most of what i require whithout "cheating" sure please enlighten me.

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Rook

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:59 am 
peters4n6 wrote:
[ I ] was shocked at the, to me, crappy client. ... I am curious how others feel about this. Having been established in 1995, one would think that their client(s) would be the most robust and snazziest around.

The poor quality of the various chess playing websites was a shock to me to. I guess there is not enough money to be made in creating a user-friendly website UI, one that needs no explanation to use.

User avatar  Offline
Pawn

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:26 pm 
What's so bad about Blitzin? I've always liked it although I'm inactive on ICC now (just playing correspondence chess).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:28 am 
Are there any other playing clients besides FICS,ICC & Playchess?

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:07 pm 
Kavimean wrote:
Are there any other playing clients besides FICS,ICC & Playchess?

Chess.net is still around.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:07 pm 
FICS, ICC, Playchess ...all pro online servers, and all have hudge disadvantages. The main problem for me is, that you have to install them. You can't simply play from work, school, or net cafe. I am used to playchess, since in my opinion the client is easy, and pro made. ICC has interface from stone age. But, I must say, last 3 months I am playing on http://www.chessfriends.com. This is something amazing. It looks like playchess, but nicer, more intuitive and it is web based. Important is, it is really fast. I was afraid I will not be able to play blitz games here, but there is no problem to play 1 min bullet games. They have also tournaments and you can win ticket to GM simul exhibition. I must admit that there are weaker players than on playchess.com, but do you really need grandmasters as opponents? There are IM, FM players, sometimes GM, and many 2000+ players. And there is also something special here, this server has multiple languages, so you can play to many strong players from eastern europe. And the bonus: Server is completly free. I am sure, they will charge later some money but for now it is free.

Profile E-mail  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2