The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:23 am 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

King

Post subject: FICS...ICC...playchess...playing clients
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:33 pm 
This is a duplicate post that is already in the general discussion forum; it was originally intended for this forum, hence the repost. I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules:

I am entering year 2 of my return to chess following a 20-year-hiatus. Like most chess freaks, I buy and/or subscribe to too many chess books, mags, playing sites etc.. but incredibly had not yet ponied up the $49 US for a year at ICC. I was playing the last year at FICS with the wonderful chess client, Babaschess.

Yesterday, I decided that the $49 I had in my pocket was best transferred over to the folks at ICC. I was somewhat unimpressed, specifically, with the Blitzin client. Compared to Babaschess it's like Windows XP compared to Windows for Workgroups 3.11 I'm sure I'll enjoy my subscription, but was shocked at the, to me, crappy client. Part of my error was assuming that Babaschess could be used over on ICC. Oh well. I am curious how others feel about this. Having been established in 1995, one would think that their client(s) would be the most robust and snazziest around. I, for one, would welcome a version for Babaschess for ICC. How about you?

eric

P.S. playchess is a bit prettier, but also not that intuitive to get around. I don't play there (just have it with my Fritz purchase). What's the deal with these clients? I, for one, would even spend an additional $20-30 for aftermarket software to make the chess experience at ICC more technologically current.

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:26 am 
As I see it, the only difference between ICC and FICS is that now to access the lectures at chess.fm, you have to be a member of ICC. I agree that the client could be better but I like it. I mean, how much can you improve a chess board and pieces?
You should take advantage of your free one-year subscription at playchess.com since you have fritz. It is a nice place to play.

King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:03 pm 
BigMaxAttack wrote:
I mean, how much can you improve a chess board and pieces?

Have you used BabasChess? Two things come to the top of my head. First is the ability to run chess engines from within the client (obviously you can't do it during games). I can examine the game I just played, flip on any UCI engine and see any obvious mistakes I've made. Second is the customization of windows..far more robust than Blitzin.

Eric

User avatar  Offline
Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:51 am 
I just signed up for ICS and I wish BabasChess worked with it. The ability to put channels in a tabbed window is better than ICS version. :)

I noticed when reading the specs for Chess Assistant, that there's a way to access ICS from within CA. Has anyone here used this? If so is it any better than Blitzin? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:16 pm 
I just started playing on BabasChess last night. It's been a few years since I played so I got my butt kicked by the 1600's.

Lots of stuff on here and with some challenging players, very good.
I'm "BlitzKonig" on there and hope to play one of you guys soon. :wink:

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:37 am 
I don't play on FICS or ICS but, if I am not mistaken, WinBoard is the most popular playing client.

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:01 am 
FurrBrain wrote:
I noticed when reading the specs for Chess Assistant, that there's a way to access ICS from within CA. Has anyone here used this? If so is it any better than Blitzin?

I don't use it to play, Blitzin is too good, but for other usage it is very good.

Ex.
When you observe game, you can observe upto 32 games (nice under Olympics) while switching between games are extremly easy. Also when observing you have access to the big database and see what are played before in the position by the players or others. With a click, you can view these games. I find this useful because it gives me more understanding of whats going on, is it likly that they have prepared for this etc. You can also turn on an engine or two to see its opinion. While observing the openingstage, you also sees GM evaluation (symbols +=) and preprocessed computer evaluation (CAP data) in the same window along with score %, number of games played etc.

Another feature is when you observe a lection. Here you can log the comments from all or selected users into the game for later save. Then you have a commented game to review after the lection.

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:28 pm 
Hello Odd Gunnar Malin!

Welcome to the Chess Exchange!

I just wanted to ask: Is 'Odd Gunnar Malin' just a nickname that you are using here or are you really the one who programmed the WB2UCI adapter ? :)

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:29 am 
kapilgain wrote:
Hello Odd Gunnar Malin!

Welcome to the Chess Exchange!

I just wanted to ask: Is 'Odd Gunnar Malin' just a nickname that you are using here or are you really the one who programmed the WB2UCI adapter ? :)

Thanks!

Yes, Wb2Uci is one utility from my hand.

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:02 am 
Odd Gunnar Malin wrote:
Thanks!

Yes, Wb2Uci is one utility from my hand.

... and even PolarEngine!

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:44 pm 
I haven't figured out fics, yet. I haven't spent a lot of time there, though. I signed up for it and looked around a little but I still don't understand it. Seems to me that to be effective something has to be simple and intuitive. You shouldn't have to go to a 3 day technical school to use it. I know Yahoo has it's problems but I didn't have to read the directions to figure out how to play there.

And speaking of Yahoo, I still play there but I play unrated, it keeps the progs away and every once in a while you get an enjoyable game.

Knight

Post subject: internet playing sites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:54 pm 
Icc has another interface called dasher.Its in beta,but its real good.

User avatar  Offline
Knight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:48 pm 
I have just started playing on the Playchess server and I must say that I like it a lot. I got to watch a Corus game with commentary by Nigel Short (who logged in while I was there) and I have seen 2 or 3 people banned for using computer programs to help them. They seem to really have their act together and the membership is almost worth the price if Fritz 10 in and of itself.

I think I finally found the server that I like!

L8R

Raths

King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:49 pm 
It's been about a year since I posted this topic and my opinion has not changed. Babaschess remains the king, and is up to version 4.0

I've tried Dasher on ICC and it's better than Blitzin, but still is nowhere near as robust as Babaschess. Maybe it's what one gets used to first that defines one's favorite client. Anyway, my 2 cents.

eric

User avatar  Offline
Knight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:52 am 
I think that you should be able to use the fritz interface when playing at playchess.com. It could be a separate mode that turns off any kind of analysis but looks pretty.

Just my opinion. :)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next