The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:57 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Pawn

Post subject: Looking for a defense
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:03 am 
Hi,
I play the slav defense for 5 years now. I'm happy with it, but I am thinking in add a more aggresive, alternative oppening to my repertoire: one whitch will be more aggresive and not difficult to learn, one that have very few theory. I want an alternative system to the slav that will have a good balance between aggresivity and easy to learn and few theory. So I will have two weapons agains d4 to choose from.
Investigating, I have picked two opening to choose one of them: the Chigorin Defense and Queen's gambit Acepted.
What is you opinion about them? Which is more aggresive? and easy to learn/less theorical? any other alternative?
I will be gratefully to any answer.
Best regards,
FS

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:00 pm 
QGA isn’t the best defence to 1.d4, d5 2.c4 - the QG isn’t a real gambit - White can easily get the pawn back, unless you make idiot moves to try and defend it, plus you loose your steak in the centre - you’re much better off going for 2… e6 and getting into a nice QGD. I’ve never personally got on with the Chigorin Defence, though I know it is endorsed by quite a few GM’s and IM’s. Personally I think you’re best bet is a nice KID as long as you don’t mind going through a ton of theory - it’s almost as bad as the Sicilian.

I’ve also been experimenting with the risky Dutch Defence (1.d4, f5) which is basically a Bird’s opening for Black - I’ve had mixed results at Chess club, I was going to debut it at a tourney in Whitby that I’ve got coming up, but I’ve decided to play it safe and not bother, I need to practice it more :)

Knight

Post subject: What Do You Play vs 1 e4?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:13 pm 
Easy to learn and little theory ... hmmm :) Well maybe easy to learn 1 d4 d6 2 c2 e5 Old Indian somewhat fits that criteria. But you would probably have to play a Modern or a Pirc or Czech Defence vs 1d4 d6 2 e4 ... I choose the Czech 2... Nf6 3 Nc3 c6. or maybe 1 ... b6 is the wayt to go ?

The Dutch I feel is very interesting as well, I just don't like the sidelines White can play against it ... even though Black can achieve equality or more the positions are just to airy for me ... but for souls with more fortitude.

If you like your Bishops the Chigorin might not be the right choice ah anyway you asked :)

Let us know what your thoughts become!

AJ

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject: Re: What Do You Play vs 1 e4?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:42 pm 
RivertonKnight wrote:
Easy to learn and little theory ... hmmm :) Well maybe easy to learn 1 d4 d6 2 c2 e5 Old Indian somewhat fits that criteria. But you would probably have to play a Modern or a Pirc or Czech Defence vs 1d4 d6 2 e4 ... I choose the Czech 2... Nf6 3 Nc3 c6. or maybe 1 ... b6 is the wayt to go ?

I do still sometimes play the Czech defence against 1.e4 but I feel it’s a mistake to play it against 1.d4 - Andrew Martin’s rather poor part 2 DVD on the Czech gives you a feeling throughout, that you are just hoping for white to play 2.e4 and allow you to get into the main line - however if white has played 1.d4 then in my experience he has got something else in mind, and will develop a Knight - what do you do then? Well Martin gives you some dross about the Wade defence (2…Bg4) but with all due respect to the great Bob Wade, this is inferior and leaves Black pretty passive.

After that, Martin swiftly moves onto lines for the Czech against the English (which are even worse!) and says no more about it :roll:

So no I wouldn’t recommend it :)

Knight

Post subject: Hi Nasgard
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:28 pm 
Hi Nasgard,

On one hand I would think you are a fan of the slightly offbeat openings with your experimentation with the Dutch and possibly the Bird. And you have viewed the Martin videos. But then you are very pessimistic about the late Miles choices in a different post as well.

The Wade defence to me is a French with the bad bishop outside the pawn structure. Not to bad because you could be playing the French :) So my thought process was ready to strike in that part of the video.

The Czech vs the English is alot more respectible then you are giving it credit for. Just requires some database work. I think he was nearing his 2 hour time mark in the said video. His work day was done :) But the Huebner - Kasparov game at the beginning off the video was really a English opening

But we are never sure what your thoughts are because you never give your concrete refutations :)

With all due respect the guy asked the impossible with wanting an aggressive, yet easy to learn, and little theory opening. If that existed we all would be playing it :) And I love reading your posts ... just don't pick on my openings :)

I personally feel the Modern or 1...b6 come the closest and still have some respectability as does 1...d6. I like to include universal in my opening criteria as well.

But I dabble with things like the Grunfeld, Dutch, Alekhines, Scheveningen, Englund Gambit ... which scores well in Blitz as does the Alekhines for me. The theory behind KID ouch!

I'm curious what database program do you use ?

Hey have a good week ... hope to hear from ya, AJ

User avatar  Offline
Pawn

Post subject: QGD - Tarrasch Defense
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:53 pm 
Hi!
I would consider the Tarrasch Defense against (1) d4 by White. Black takes on an IQP in return for a comfortable development. The Tarrasch (I presume) is the only variation of the Classical QGD where the Black Queen Bishop does not remain looked for a long time. Black has lots of attacking schemes and there is not too much theory to study. Kasparov used to play to Tarrasch about 20 years ago. Greetings :)

King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:46 pm 
Budapest Defence - sharp, dangerous, relatively easy to learn

Go for it

Knight

Post subject: True That But
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:39 pm 
I like the Budapest for all the reasons stated, but what if 1 d4 Nf6 2 Nf3 ?
Sac the pawn anyway :) Just Kidding!

Have A Nice day, AJ

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]