The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:29 am 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject: Englund Gambit Accepted
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:06 pm 
1.d4, e5?! 2.dxe5

I see no reason not to take the pawn as its presence interferes with any plans I may have had regarding 1.d4 and I can’t see any easy way for black to recover the pawn - not like the Clarendon Court, where black has the Queen check should White take the c Pawn.

Has anyone got any information on what black is trying to do here? And some lines to refute the opening.

Cheers :D

Knight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:55 am 
I've never been able to figure this one out either. I've only ever seen it a couple of times and I've never gone wrong by taking the e5 pawn.

When I was playing a friend one time I didn't pay attention to the 1.d4 e5 and continued with my 2.Nf3. That one hurt. After that game I started playing 1.Nf3. I didn't like the way the e4 e5 exchange messed with my pawn structure.

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:26 am 
Eladar wrote:
I've never been able to figure this one out either. I've only ever seen it a couple of times and I've never gone wrong by taking the e5 pawn.

When I was playing a friend one time I didn't pay attention to the 1.d4 e5 and continued with my 2.Nf3. That one hurt. After that game I started playing 1.Nf3. I didn't like the way the e4 e5 exchange messed with my pawn structure.

I did some research on Fritz and decided the best line was probably 1.d4, e5 2, dxe5, Nc6 3.Nf3, Qe7 4.Qd5 (a lot of games go 4.Bf4 here, but this lets Black check with the Queen and then take the b2 pawn - I see no reason to allow this, as it’s what your opponent wants - regain the lost material and get you into trap-heavy lines) 4…f6 (black isn’t going to get his pawn back now) 5.exf6, Nxf6 6.Qb3

I think this safely neutralises any immediate threat from Black - he is slightly ahead on development, but I don’t think it’s worth the Pawn, and his Queen is misplaced. I think White should just play sensible developing moves from here on in, and get castled to avoid any cheapo tricks. Then, in this case, I’d just exchange everything off and try to force and end game with my extra pawn.

Knight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:28 am 
I just found this the Eglund Gambit in Oleinikov's book.

I found it under "rare systems". He makes the comment that although is criticized in theory, it was more common for him than the Dutch or Chegorin and about as common as Gruenfeld.

He suggests:

1. d4 e5 2. dxe5 Nc6 3.Nf3 Qe7

He gives a full game after this, but I'll stop at move 6 like you did

4. Nc3 Nxe5 5.e4 c6 6.Be2 d6

King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:38 am 
I think Korchnoi somwhere recommended the following line against the Englund Gambit: 1 d4 e5 2 de Nc6 3 Nf3 Qe7 4 Nc3 Ne5 5 Nd5 Nf3 6 gf Qd8.

User avatar  Offline
Pawn

Post subject: Englund Gambit
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:16 pm 
There are three relatively recent books on the opening. Bloodgood's "Blackburne-Hautlaub Gambit" (1998), Bucker's "Englund Gambit" (1988) and Smith's "The Englund Gambit and The Blackburne-Hartlaub Gambit Complex" (1994). The books cover a lot of ground.

The problem is, in my opinion as a former Englund Gambiteer, the opening really gives Black very little besides a chance to have some tactical fun. The key word is "chance". If White is prepared, there is no compensation for the pawn. But that is where the Soller (2...f6) and Hartlaub Gambits (2...d6) come into play. But taking a second pawn is not mandatory. Evaluation still favors White with best play. You can get to the Hartlaub from a Philidor (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4) move order also.

Additionally, some E'G'ers will develope the King Bishop BEFORE playing ...Qe7. Another nuance from Bloodgood is 1.d4 e5 2.dxe5 d5!? when White often captures enpassant transpostioning to the Hartlaub.

All in all, it is a great system to spring at fast time controls. And, like the Latvian, though risky and quite likely theoretically inferior, there are lots of ways for White to get into deep trouble very quickly. At one time I thought it to be better than both the Albin and Budapest. I no longer agree. However, at the club level, like the Latvian, Albin, Budapest and Chigorin with an early ...e5, it can be quite the points maker.

I think the Korchnoi-Koening, 1978 simul game went 1.d4 e5 2.dxe5 Nc6 3.Nf3 Qe7 4.Nc3 (but he likes 4.Qd4 here if I recall) Nxe5 5.Nd5 Nxf3+ 6.gxf3 Qd8 7.Qd4! d6 8.Bg5 Qd7? 1-0 (14moves).

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]