The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:36 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Queens gambit accepted...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:06 pm 
So ive been playing around with the queens gambit, especially when playing friends, and i really like it a lot. They usually are unsure of how to proceed, and i can usually capitalize mid game. When i play the gambit against a computer, however, after it accepts, i proceed by pushing (e.3). It then responds with (Q.D4), and i feel like no matter how i play it, i get trashed. Any good responses?

King

Post subject: Re: Queens gambit accepted...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:11 pm 
3th0s wrote:
So ive been playing around with the queens gambit, especially when playing friends, and i really like it a lot. They usually are unsure of how to proceed, and i can usually capitalize mid game. When i play the gambit against a computer, however, after it accepts, i proceed by pushing (e.3). It then responds with (Q.D4), and i feel like no matter how i play it, i get trashed. Any good responses?

Sorry, but I don't understand what move you indicated for Black at move 3 (Q.D4)???

After 1 d4 d5 2 c4 dc 3 e3, Black can get an good game while isolating White's d-pawn with 3...e5! It is because of the effectiveness of the ...e5 idea that White usually plays 3 Nf3 instead of 3 e3. 4 Nc3 is also played (with the idea of 5 e4).

User avatar  Offline
Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:42 pm 
I like e3 after dxc4 because some people fall for this:

1. d4, d5 2. c4, dxc4, 3. e3 b5, 4. a4 c6, 5. axb5, cxb5, 6. Qf3!!

A class "B" player fell for this in a tourney w/ me a couple weeks ago.

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:06 am 
Kruizer wrote:
I like e3 after dxc4 because some people fall for this:

1. d4, d5 2. c4, dxc4, 3. e3 b5, 4. a4 c6, 5. axb5, cxb5, 6. Qf3!!

A class "B" player fell for this in a tourney w/ me a couple weeks ago.

That’s quite a nice little trap actually :) not seen that before. I think 3...b5 is a terrible move for black, much better to just let the pawn go and develop, but it does happen a lot I know.

User avatar  Offline
Pawn

Post subject: Queens gambit accepted...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:22 pm 
Yeah 3...b5 does seem poor from a principle standpoint, but for some reason it seems to be an instinctive move for a lot of players. I've discovered several traps exploiting the weak diaganal a8-h1, after black's queenside pawns are advanced and over-extended.

User avatar  Offline
King

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:35 am 
Kruizer wrote:
Yeah 3...b5 does seem poor from a principle standpoint, but for some reason it seems to be an instinctive move for a lot of players. I've discovered several traps exploiting the weak diaganal a8-h1, after black's queenside pawns are advanced and over-extended.

I’ve not come across it too much because in a QGA I always play 3.Nc3 - eliminating the possibility of 3…b5 and aiming to play e3 one or two moves later, but I may have to start letting my opponents get into that line, I’ve been checking it out, there are one or too traps yes :)

I’m pretty new to playing the QG - I never liked the look of it before, but I sort of had to learn it in conjunction with the Catalan - I’ve found I quite like it now and half the time, just play down the main lines.

User avatar  Offline
Rook

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:33 pm 
Best is 3.e4 :) you're opponent would have to be pretty weak to fall for the Qf3 trap, I've played the Queen's Gambit for a couple of years and used to try it all the time; I only ever got the position in a real game once that I can remember, and it was against a 10 year old!

It works all the time in 10 minute blitz online though :lol:

If you play 3.e3 it's far more likely that you're opponent will play 3...e5 and you're hard pressed not end up with an isolated pawn then.

Profile E-mail  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]