The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:36 pm 






This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

  Print view

Author Message
 Offline
Newbie
 
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:02 pm
Posts: 1
 Post subject: Queens gambit accepted...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:06 pm 
So ive been playing around with the queens gambit, especially when playing friends, and i really like it a lot. They usually are unsure of how to proceed, and i can usually capitalize mid game. When i play the gambit against a computer, however, after it accepts, i proceed by pushing (e.3). It then responds with (Q.D4), and i feel like no matter how i play it, i get trashed. Any good responses?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
King
 
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:09 pm
Posts: 148
Location: Placentia, CA
 Post subject: Re: Queens gambit accepted...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:11 pm 
3th0s wrote:
So ive been playing around with the queens gambit, especially when playing friends, and i really like it a lot. They usually are unsure of how to proceed, and i can usually capitalize mid game. When i play the gambit against a computer, however, after it accepts, i proceed by pushing (e.3). It then responds with (Q.D4), and i feel like no matter how i play it, i get trashed. Any good responses?

Sorry, but I don't understand what move you indicated for Black at move 3 (Q.D4)???

After 1 d4 d5 2 c4 dc 3 e3, Black can get an good game while isolating White's d-pawn with 3...e5! It is because of the effectiveness of the ...e5 idea that White usually plays 3 Nf3 instead of 3 e3. 4 Nc3 is also played (with the idea of 5 e4).


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Pawn
 
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:39 am
Posts: 12
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:42 pm 
I like e3 after dxc4 because some people fall for this:

1. d4, d5 2. c4, dxc4, 3. e3 b5, 4. a4 c6, 5. axb5, cxb5, 6. Qf3!!

A class "B" player fell for this in a tourney w/ me a couple weeks ago.


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
King
 
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:57 am
Posts: 142
Location: Leeds, UK
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:06 am 
Kruizer wrote:
I like e3 after dxc4 because some people fall for this:

1. d4, d5 2. c4, dxc4, 3. e3 b5, 4. a4 c6, 5. axb5, cxb5, 6. Qf3!!

A class "B" player fell for this in a tourney w/ me a couple weeks ago.


That’s quite a nice little trap actually :) not seen that before. I think 3...b5 is a terrible move for black, much better to just let the pawn go and develop, but it does happen a lot I know.


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Pawn
 
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:39 am
Posts: 12
 Post subject: Queens gambit accepted...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:22 pm 
Yeah 3...b5 does seem poor from a principle standpoint, but for some reason it seems to be an instinctive move for a lot of players. I've discovered several traps exploiting the weak diaganal a8-h1, after black's queenside pawns are advanced and over-extended.


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
King
 
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:57 am
Posts: 142
Location: Leeds, UK
 Post subject: Re: Queens gambit accepted...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:35 am 
Kruizer wrote:
Yeah 3...b5 does seem poor from a principle standpoint, but for some reason it seems to be an instinctive move for a lot of players. I've discovered several traps exploiting the weak diaganal a8-h1, after black's queenside pawns are advanced and over-extended.


I’ve not come across it too much because in a QGA I always play 3.Nc3 - eliminating the possibility of 3…b5 and aiming to play e3 one or two moves later, but I may have to start letting my opponents get into that line, I’ve been checking it out, there are one or too traps yes :)

I’m pretty new to playing the QG - I never liked the look of it before, but I sort of had to learn it in conjunction with the Catalan - I’ve found I quite like it now and half the time, just play down the main lines.


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Rook
 
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:38 am
Posts: 97
Location: UK
 Post subject: Re: Queens gambit accepted...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:33 pm 
Best is 3.e4 :) you're opponent would have to be pretty weak to fall for the Qf3 trap, I've played the Queen's Gambit for a couple of years and used to try it all the time; I only ever got the position in a real game once that I can remember, and it was against a 10 year old!

It works all the time in 10 minute blitz online though :lol:

If you play 3.e3 it's far more likely that you're opponent will play 3...e5 and you're hard pressed not end up with an isolated pawn then.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 193 on Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:40 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest





cron

ChessCentral - The Leader in Cutting-Edge Chess * Buy Fritz 12 * Buy Rybka 4 * Buy Fritz Powerbook DVD


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

Style based on Andreas08 by Andreas Viklund and created by Elizabeth Shulman, Stop Animal Rights, Dog Training by corgipower