The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:26 am 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Pawn

Post subject: Will someone explain this please
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:25 pm 
I basically wanted to see what Rybka would have done as opposed to what I actually did (which was to get myself deep into trouble but I think I was already in trouble with the position I'd placed myself in) The two knights on C5 and C6 giving me a real headache. Anyway, I played the game out but was punished by Rybka.

Here's the position I played myself into :( :-

Whites move :-

I then ran Rybka 2.2 (the free downloadable version) playing against itself from the above position with white to move and a large number of moves later Rybka had arrived at this position :-

but then to my amazement made the following Rxe6 move ??

basically scarificing it's Rook for a Pawn with no obvious gain as far as I could see.

I'm sure there's a good reason why Rybka made this move; would it have been because of the three pawns on the d,e and f files being a threat in creating protection to one another along with King etc on a march to possible promotion?

[EDIT] :oops: That will teach me to be a total idiot and not look a little closer :oops:

I now see the subsequent fork that white has lulled blacks King into with Bc4 thus removing blacks Rook :oops: Damn I need to start looking :(

I'll go away now and bury my head somewhere :(

Profile E-mail  

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: Will someone explain this please
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:45 pm 
ChimpVShrimp wrote:
I basically wanted to see what Rybka would have done as opposed to what I actually did (which was to get myself deep into trouble but I think I was already in trouble with the position I'd placed myself in) The two knights on C5 and C6 giving me a real headache. Anyway, I played the game out but was punished by Rybka.

Here's the position I played myself into :( :-

Whites move :-

I then ran Rybka 2.2 (the free downloadable version) playing against itself from the above position with white to move and a large number of moves later Rybka had arrived at this position :-

but then to my amazement made the following Rxe6 move ??

basically scarificing it's Rook for a Pawn with no obvious gain as far as I could see.

I'm sure there's a good reason why Rybka made this move; would it have been because of the three pawns on the d,e and f files being a threat in creating protection to one another along with King etc on a march to possible promotion?

[EDIT] :oops: That will teach me to be a total idiot and not look a little closer :oops:

I now see the subsequent fork that white has lulled blacks King into with Bc4 thus removing blacks Rook :oops: Damn I need to start looking :(

I'll go away now and bury my head somewhere :(

I don't think "falling into" that fork is such a problem and no blunder. Basically white has taken only one black pawn but is lost anyhow. I think there's not much to do against the advancing king if white plays 1.Rxe6+ and you respond with 1...Kxe6 white will play 2.Bc4+ Ke5 but after 3.Bxb3 black will play 3...Ke4 and 4.Bc2+ will fail on 4...d3 5.Bb3 Be3+ 6.Kg2 f4 and so on, and you won't stop those pawns with the king and bishop to their support. If black plays 4.Bf7 the result is the same with 4...Be3+ 5.Ke2 d3+ 6.Kd1 f4 7.Bg6+ Kd4 and an unstoppable black front. In the meantime you could argue white has lost a valuable rook for the defense with such a fork. Not that it would have helped... :)

Pawn

Post subject: Re: Will someone explain this please
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:16 pm 
Thanks Jeroen, wonderful insight.

Makes me realise just how far I need to go and how much I need to learn just to become OK at chess.

What path would you recommend to a beginner such as myself? I've read the Steve Lopez guide and have taken his advice regards starting with tactics by buying the 'George Renko: Intensive Tactics 1' CD but am having difficulty with its use atm (The CD doesnt appear to want to take me through any sort of course or guide and I'm not quite sure how best to use it tbh; I'll post another thread for help on this).

What I'd like is a good old fashioned paper book. What would you recommend for the beginner Jeroen?

Thanks again,
Dan

PS: Here's a link to the 'George Renko Tactics' CD problems post
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4878

Profile E-mail  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]