The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:53 pm 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Can I mate someone w/ a knight and a bishop?
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:35 pm 
I ran into this situation the other day, and I had no success whatsoever. I hope that I wasn't wasting my time, but it sure felt like it. Please help!

Thanks

User avatar  Offline

Post subject: Re: Can I mate someone w/ a knight and a bishop?
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:29 pm 
Discdeviant wrote:
I ran into this situation the other day, and I had no success whatsoever. I hope that I wasn't wasting my time, but it sure felt like it. Please help!

You've stumbled upon the most difficult of the so-called 'Basic' checkmates. It really is very tricky and many experienced players have trouble with it.

A description of the checkmate can be found at the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_and ... _checkmate

Welcome to the forum! :)

Knight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:24 am 
Yes I think the best thing to do is to avoid it getting down to this, try to keep a pawn or two instead.

Pawn

Post subject: I worked on this ending 2 to 3 years ago.
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:32 pm 
Hi DeanMadden,

I worked on this ending 2 years ago. I have learned to mate Chessmaster 9000 with this ending every time. WHen I first tried it with Chessmaster 9000 I could not even win this ending even by luck. I can also consistentley win on the practice check mate at www.chessmagnetschool.com's chess toolbox.

The way i learned is that a friend of mine give me this link http://www.exeterchessclub.org.uk/Endings/matekbnk.htm

What I did was input two patters into CHessmaster 9000 were you try to take the king residing in the corner of the opposite color of your bishop all the way to the corner of the same color of bishop. Now the 1st pattern is where the king does not move from its rank and just tried to stay in the corner of the opposite color of the bishop.

I think you can even learn to do this mater even with the example given in wikipedai with the link SonofPearl gave you. But what I would do is first put the example were it says Driving the king from the "safe" corner to the mating corner and just input the passive and active defense into your chess software. Than after you memorized that method than play against the computer and if you master that than you will have the gist of this ending and everything else will come easier.

Best of luck and I know you will know it soon,

Parag

I

Pawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:58 am 
Hi!

I may have a solution for those newbies who want to learn the technique.

First step is to get a good book on endgames or get somekind of practical information. Second, if you have Fritz will help and third... a bit of dedication.

What I did is to entered the move-by-move explanation from my book in Fritz and saved it. Then for each position, I colored the squares controlled by white (you can do this by clicking these squares while holding alt and shift (for red)). Then I replayed each move from the start.

You will clearly see how the pieces work together to create a wall to usher the king to the appropriate square where you can finally make the kill.

I did the whole process in a little less than 5 hours and can now checkmate Fritz most of the times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:51 pm 
Remember that if you keep your knight on a square of the same colour of your bishop you can create a sort of barrier because the knight can control the square that bishop can't.
You should trap the enemy king in the corner square of the same colour of your bishop because he is the one that will give mate.
Remember also that often you need waiting moves in this endgame.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]