The Chess Exchange

The Chess Exchange - To Your Chess Success!

Skip to content

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:56 am 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Can you checkmate while being checked?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:27 am 
I was playing with my girlfriend today and this situation arrived: she moved and put my king in check. I could have easily moved by king out of harm's way, but I had been leading up to a killer box-in on her king.

So when she put me in check, I went after her king on the opposite side of the board and check-mated her.

Is this legal? I haven't poured over the advanced rules and regulations to find the answer, but a quick search didn't return anything.

I'm just wondering if what I did was technically a tie, or if it was completely illegal... any ideas?

Thanks!

King

Post subject: Re: Can you checkmate while being checked?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:58 am 
sevensamurai wrote:
I was playing with my girlfriend today and this situation arrived: she moved and put my king in check. I could have easily moved by king out of harm's way, but I had been leading up to a killer box-in on her king.

So when she put me in check, I went after her king on the opposite side of the board and check-mated her.

Is this legal? I haven't poured over the advanced rules and regulations to find the answer, but a quick search didn't return anything.

I'm just wondering if what I did was technically a tie, or if it was completely illegal... any ideas?

Thanks!

If you are in check, then you MUST get out of check IMMEDIATELY. Even if your move "checkmates" your opponent, your move is illegal if you are still in check after you move.

User avatar  Offline
King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:58 am 
Yes, if you yourself are in check, you must move your King out of the line of fire before making any other moves (unless the move also blocks the attack on your king). Your mate will have been illegal.

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:30 pm 
sevensamurai wrote:

Thanks!

http://www.fide.com/info/handbook?id=124&view=article
http://chessexchange.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7405#17405

FIDE Chess Rules wrote:
3.9 The king is said to be `in check` if it is attacked by one or more of the opponent`s pieces, even if such pieces are constrained from moving to that square because they would then leave or place their own king in check. No piece can be moved that will either expose the king of the same colour to check or leave that king in check.

King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:29 pm 
Think of what would happen if the game was allowed to continue beyond checkmate, and would end if the king was captured.

Your king would be captured first, thus you would lose.

User avatar  Offline
Knight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:58 am 
unless your mate also moved you out of check (which would have been pretty cool) I believe it would be illegal. You must move your king out of check when it gets in check immediately. :wink:

Pawn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:44 am 
Great topic, the information is very important, thanks for starting this. I have just anyway visited the link site and got a good great impression from the contents of the websites. I would like to visit it very often soon from now. Anyone can easily visit it for good chess lessons and get help. Break, anyway need a all well visit to http://www.fildate.com/ have great and real fun, bye enjoy stay.

Profile E-mail  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]